Misconceptions and Fallacies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB:
Ok, I will be the one to ask....So, why does a wetsuit work if it isn't the layer of trapped water??:confused:

from howstuffsworks.com

Thermal Protection
To keep warm underwater, divers wear insulating suits, either wet suits or dry suits. The wet suit traps a thin layer of water between the insulating rubber of the suit and your body. Your body heat warms the water, which then keeps you warm. Wet suits should fit snugly (a loose wet suit will constantly leak in cold water).

I think they left out a bit of insulation is from the thickness of the rubber, but what do they know, let's get it from the experts..:D ..ok...:14: let's hear it, experts....

scubatexastony:
from howstuffsworks.com

Thermal Protection
To keep warm underwater, divers wear insulating suits, either wet suits or dry suits. The wet suit traps a thin layer of water between the insulating rubber of the suit and your body. Your body heat warms the water, which then keeps you warm. Wet suits should fit snugly (a loose wet suit will constantly leak in cold water).

I think they left out a bit of insulation is from the thickness of the rubber, but what do they know, let's get it from the experts..:D ..ok...:14: let's hear it, experts....
again...someone who got it wrong.

Thats why I said it is one of my fav's :wink:

JeffG:
The gas trapped in the neoprene.
i figured that one out going from a 3mill to a seven mill,if it was water keeping me warm,i wouldnt need that 7 mill.

Right. Both a wet suit and dry suit do the same thing: trap air between you and the surrounding water. A wet suit just happens to also trap some water in there too and a dry suit typically traps more air, so it is warmer.

But, in the end, carrying extra weight, etceteras parabus, does increase breathing gas consumption.

Quod erat demonstratum

the K

The Kraken:
But, in the end, carrying extra weight, etceteras paribus, does increase breathing gas consumption.

Quod erat demonstratum

the K

....if I was dragging Frank (extra weight) along (cause he was dead), I'd have to work harder/ breathe more... oh, you're talking lead...sorry :D

then again if he was slung, technically he would be extra weight?:rofl3:

Rick Murchison:
What water in the BC does is decrease the available lift of the BC by the weight of the water in it. That is, a BC with 22 pounds of lift that has a quart (about two pounds) of water in it will have the potential of only 20 pounds lift, because the two pounds of water inside the BC displaces (surprise!) two pounds of water outside the BC.
So, in addition to being sloppy, poor technique, a whole bunch of water in your BC isn't a good idea.
Rick

I agree with you that it decreases your available lift, but think it might work different for how water in your bc decreases your available lift.

Water and air don't weigh the same they they don't quite cancel each other out (since your not lifting your bc above the water. What the water in your BC does for lift if reduce it by reducing the available space you have to fill with air.

If I have a quarter of my BC filled with water and I have a 30lb wing then I will only have a max lift capacity of 22.5lbs. Being that the water is neutral its weight has no effect on the equation it is simply a matter of how much it reduces the available space that I have left to fill with air.

rockjock3:
I agree with you that it decreases your available lift, but think it might work different for how water in your bc decreases your available lift.

Water and air don't weigh the same they they don't quite cancel each other out (since your not lifting your bc above the water. What the water in your BC does for lift if reduce it by reducing the available space you have to fill with air.

If I have a quarter of my BC filled with water and I have a 30lb wing then I will only have a max lift capacity of 22.5lbs. Being that the water is neutral its weight has no effect on the equation it is simply a matter of how much it reduces the available space that I have left to fill with air.

Whether you realize it or not, you are both saying the same thing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom