Missing diver in Monterey, CA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a nightmare about honeymooners lost on a shore dive. Woke me up. I have a BP machine furnished so checked: highest ever.

I like chase boats.

Yeah, what has been surprising (to me) as a new diver to Monterey is how the conditions are different locally. I was there the same day at the Breakwater for my Fundies class. The conditions seemed fine (albeit with terrible viz).
Due to the geography of the Monterey Peninsula, there can be huge differences in conditions at local shore dive sites. The prevailing wind and swells usually come from the northwest, although that can vary. Some popular shore dive sites like North Monastery Beach, Butterfly House, and the aforementioned Fanshell Beach are exposed to those prevailing swells and thus can only safely be dived when conditions are really flat, or perhaps when the swells have shifted to come from a more southerly direction. All of those sites also feature large submerged rocks right near the beach which can present a serious hazard in rough conditions.
Some other shore dive sites like Breakwater (San Carlos Beach) and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve (Whaler's Cove) are much more protected. So, experienced divers can usually get in and out safely there even in rougher weather conditions as long as they're careful. But even at those sites we sometimes have to pass on diving.

@Nick_Radov. Excellent thanks. This is super useful. I am happy to do Breakwater as much as possible till I get more experience with local diving. So it is good to know that it is an option during "mediocre weather".
I think I have a better sense now for when the weather is really bad, so I am happy calling the dive. What has been harder is parsing what mediocre conditions mean, e.g. reconciling how so many divers are out and about (even classes) in Breakwater while boats are being canceled. Something that happened in December.

@Nick_Radov. What has been harder is parsing what mediocre conditions mean, e.g. reconciling how so many divers are out and about (even classes) in Breakwater while boats are being canceled. Something that happened in December.
Boats are more sensitive to wind. When the prevailing winds pick up then boats have trouble safely making it around Point Pinos to reach the better dive sites to the south. Or even if maybe the boat can handle rough conditions, the passengers would all get seasick and whine about it so the boat operators cancel charters. 🤢🤮
Winds tend to pick up in the afternoon, so even if a boat can get out safely in the morning they might run into dangerously rough seas after the dives and have trouble returning to the harbor. Inexperienced divers get knocked around and hurt when they try to climb back onto the boat while it's pitching up and down like a bucking bronco.
Breakwater is protected from the prevailing winds by the rest of Monterey Peninsula so we seldom get much wind chop there. But occasionally the weather shifts to come more from the north and even that site can be unsafe, or at least so stirred up that it's not worth the effort.

Due to the geography of the Monterey Peninsula, there can be huge differences in conditions at local shore dive sites. The prevailing wind and swells usually come from the northwest, although that can vary. Some popular shore dive sites like North Monastery Beach, Butterfly House, and the aforementioned Fanshell Beach are exposed to those prevailing swells and thus can only safely be dived when conditions are really flat, or perhaps when the swells have shifted to come from a more southerly direction. All of those sites also feature large submerged rocks right near the beach which can present a serious hazard in rough conditions.
Some other shore dive sites like Breakwater (San Carlos Beach) and Point Lobos State Natural Reserve (Whaler's Cove) are much more protected. So, experienced divers can usually get in and out safely there even in rougher weather conditions as long as they're careful. But even at those sites we sometimes have to pass on diving.

We were at Whalers on Saturday. Being as sheltered as it is, we could have gotten in and out no problem. That said, we went up the traill to have a look and it was rough out at the deeper sites and it just looked murky. We might have been able to stay under it but if something goes awry and you have to surface out there, what then? I'd hate to have to surface at some of the outer pinnacles and have to deal with the surface conditions.

4 out of 5 of us figured it was not worth the effort with the scooters and extra bottles.

If Lobos was questionable I can only imagine what the west side of the peninsula looked like.

Anybody, anytime, for any reason with no questions...

I feel terrible for the victim, family, and friends.

Nothing that hasn't been covered here or the FB page.

• 4 divers went in, dive was called off due to equipment issues. I am very curious what issues?
  • Zachary was seen struggling in the surf about 100 yards from shore. He never resurfaced after a large wave hit him. Search (Sheriff's office, lifeguards, and USCG) that day was called off at dusk.
  • The sheriff's dive team and USCG did a search in the morning next day till noon when conditions got too rough.
  • Five days later, they found him in Fan Shell Beach's northern areas.
  • The article then talks about rip currents and how one can take steps to be safe from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom