Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow....

that is a great story, all the more so because of the happy ending.

that lookout was on the job, tell you what...

Croft said he is determining if safety rules were violated.
Well, duh.

Roak

kelphelper:
Tuesday, Coast Guard officials were investigating why Carlock was found 11 miles from the dive location where Ocean Adventures Dive Co. of Marina del Rey reported him missing - and near the spot where the group had dived earlier in the day.

The captain of the Sundiver, Ray Arntz, reported Carlock missing from the second dive location at 12:03 p.m., Croft said. The Coast Guard, the recreational diving instructors, Long Beach lifeguards and Los Angeles City Fire Department personnel searched for Carlock near the second dive location until hearing of his rescue in Orange County.

Arntz told officials that Dive Master Zacharias Araneta had accounted for all the divers before leaving the first location, Croft said.

Ocean Adventures Dive Co. owner Steve Ladd said Monday that he was figuring out what had happened and would seek to "turn a negative into a positive" by changing procedures, if needed. He declined further comment and could not be reached Tuesday.

They almost killed him twice. Once when they left him and a second time by reporting him missing from the wrong spot.
Carlock and three dive buddies had entered the water at about 8:45 a.m.

Carlock had problems equalizing the pressure in his ears and fell behind. He tried following his partners' bubbles, but he lost them.

The descent and the ascent are probably the most important times to be alert to your buddies. I know it's rarely taught but it's true.

Everybody write "I will stay with my buddy on descent and ascent" 150 times on the board.

MikeFerrara:
They almost killed him twice. Once when they left him and a second time by reporting him missing from the wrong spot.

The descent and the ascent are probably the most important times to be alert to your buddies. I know it's rarely taught but it's true.

Everybody write "I will stay with my buddy on descent and ascent" 150 times on the board.

A host of problems. First, diving in a threesome.

Second, like you said Mike, not staying together during the descent. Of course, in a threesome, that can be even more difficult.

Third, leaving the descent line in the first place. The victim reported that he tried to "follow their bubbles." They should have all been on the descent line together. Of course, the victim was in a quandry since he felt he was supposed to stay with his assigned buddies. Textbook case of where assigned buddies were worse than no buddies would have been.

Fourth, no lost buddy procedure followed by the victim's dive team.

Fifth, not swimming AGAINST/INTO the current, from the descent line, for an anchored boat in a current. That concept does not often get taught properly. For drift diving, swim with the current. For anchored boat diving, swim against the current.

Sixth, the whistle did not attract any attention. Maybe we are all kidding ourselves with our whistles attached to our B/Cs. Maybe we really need those air-powered horns instead, that I see advertised in Rodales!

Seventh, the victim's buddies did not report him missing. Apparently they did not take the buddy assignment seriously. Sounds like they did not care where the missing diver was. Sad state of affairs.

The clencher of course is that the D/M did not discover the victim missing either. The kicker is that the D/M recorded the victim as having re-entered the water at the next dive site, even though that was not possible. Career-ending move.

Counting divers being recovered, and counting divers disembarking, would have gone a long way as a back-up procedure to the verbal roll call, which did not work in this case. A written sign-off with initials for every recovered diver, as has been discussed, would go a long way toward preventing something like this as well.

Thank God for the Boy Scouts. It was also no small miracle that their sailing ship was diverted by the fog bank to the site of the victim.

There could be a fairly interesting lawsuit that comes out of this whole matter. I guess it all depends if the victim can forgive and forget, or prefers monetary damages for pain and suffering instead. The newspaper article documents a fair amount of pain and suffering. California like any other major populous state is a very litigious society. Wonder if the waiver will have any effect?

There could be a fairly interesting lawsuit that comes out of this whole matter. I guess it all depends if the victim can forgive and forget, or prefers monetary damages instead.

an element of any claim of action is damages. how was
this diver damaged?

about the only thing he could allege is "pain and suffering," "emotional distress," and such.

i don't know about California, but in Florida, you can't
recover for pain and suffering and emotional distress UNLESS
you were physically hurt (the contact rule). also, purely psychological damage is not recoverable in Florida
WITHOUT physical damage.

at any rate, i dont' see much in the way of damages here.

H2Andy:
There could be a fairly interesting lawsuit that comes out of this whole matter. I guess it all depends if the victim can forgive and forget, or prefers monetary damages instead.

this diver damaged?

about the only thing he could allege is "pain and suffering," "emotional distress," and such.

you were physically hurt (the contact rule). also, purely psychological damage is not recoverable in Florida
WITHOUT physical damage.

I dont practice law I just guess at it! :)

IndigoBlue:
A host of problems. First, diving in a threesome.

Second, like you said Mike, not staying together during the descent. Of course, in a threesome, that can be even more difficult.

A three person team can be more cumbersom if you're not used to it but I like a three person team.

MikeFerrara:
A three person team can be more cumbersom if you're not used to it but I like a three person team.

It might work for advanced, technical divers. But I have observed that it does not work when it involves relative beginners.

H2Andy:

this diver damaged?

WITHOUT physical damage.

They should just make it a criminal case. Attempted murder or something. It should be illegal to drop people off at sea and leave em. LOL You know like it's against the law to run them down with your car while they're walking down the street?

MikeFerrara:
They should just make it a criminal case. Attempted murder or something. It should be illegal to drop people off at sea and leave em. LOL You know like it's against the law to run them down with your car while they're walking down the street?

Gross negligence is in the felony code. It sounds more like that. However since nobody actually died, you cannot call it homicide. Really close call, though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom