Missing Diver incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish:
There's a couple comments about 3-some buddies in this thread but was it? The article says "Carlock and three dive buddies had entered the water at about 8:45 a.m." This adds up to 4. Was it 2 pairs, a 4-some, or is the article inaccurate (gosh, imagine that.)...

dazedone:
Here is an excerpt from my dive report on the SoCal board. Live and learn, or better yet, learn and LIVE.

...Apparently he got separated from his 3some, the other 2 in the 3some assumed he had his own buddy so they did not notice him missing. ...

Threesome.

I'm glad I started this thread. I can see a good positive dialog going on here and alot of good suggestions for how all the parties involved can make sure this never happens again.

Keep the good suggestions coming, I know the owner of this dive shop is looking for any and all suggestions to help him build a new DM policy. While I am not defending the actions of his DM, I will say that the shop owner is a very caring and compassionate guy and I know he is doing everything in his power to make things right.

While I was not involved with this incident, seeing that all go down on the boat right in front of my eyes is going to make me REALLY pick my buddies carefully, make sure we set mutual ground rules before the dive, stick to him/her like glue, make damn sure the DM knows when we are in and out of the water and if I think the DM is not taking his job seriously, I'm going to call him on it. Also, if I ever see a diver answer a roll call for another diver, I'm gonna smack him upside the head with my pony bottle. :bash:

Any dialog that ultimately helps improve dive safety is one worth having.

If they aren't aware of it you should mention the system that DAN has. I haven't looked at it but they developed it specifically because so many divers have been left behind.

Forgotten diver saved by Boy Scout
'I don't want to die'

Thursday, April 29, 2004 Posted: 8:24 AM EDT (1224 GMT)

Zack Mayberry, 15, right, and diver Dan Carlock sit aboard the Boy Scout boat after Carlock's rescue on Sunday.

NEWPORT BEACH, California (AP) -- A recreational diver forgotten at sea by a boat crew drifted five hours and prayed for his life before a Boy Scout on an excursion aboard a century-old ship spotted him.

Dan Carlock, 45, was left by his diving group Sunday as he drifted for hours about seven miles offshore.

He noted the time of day on his small, waterproof writing slate and took photographs of himself to document that he'd made it to the surface.

Carlock, a former Boy Scout, recalled his survival manual: Stay calm. Think methodically. Still, he worried about how his parents would react to his death.

He said he prayed "God, I don't want to die," and "I want to be saved. I need your help."

The spacecraft engineer for Boeing Satellite Systems and three dive buddies entered the water at about 8:45 a.m. Sunday, but Carlock had problems equalizing the pressure in his ears and he fell behind. He tried following his partners' bubbles, but he lost them.

He decided to end the dive after 15 minutes, but he was 400 feet down current from an oil platform where the boat was anchored. He blew his whistle to attract attention.

"I figured when the dive was over they would realize I was missing and come looking for me," Carlock said.

But they never came. The boat left and headed for a shipwreck six miles southeast of the entrance to the Port of Los Angeles, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Collin Croft.

Five hours later, crew trainee Zack Mayberry, 15, stood watch on the stern of the tall ship Argus, which was full of Boy Scouts. The ship had changed course because of heavy fog.

Mayberry saw something in the water and grabbed his binoculars: About 150 yards away, Carlock's head was sticking out of the water. Mayberry handed the binoculars to a friend.

"I wanted to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me," Mayberry said.

The San Diego Boy Scout troop had drilled the rescue procedure the previous day and the rescue operation began. A small motorboat was sent to pluck Carlock from the sea and he was brought aboard.

Coast Guard officials Tuesday said they were investigating why Carlock was left behind, then not reported missing until his group reached the second dive location at 12:03 p.m.

The Coast Guard, the recreational diving instructors, Long Beach lifeguards and Los Angeles City Fire Department personnel searched for Carlock near the second dive location until learning of the rescue.

Ocean Adventures Dive Co. owner Steve Ladd said he was trying to figure out what happened.

Source:link here

Thank God for the Boy Scouts!

It made for pretty good press that the victim was quoted as having ruminated on a Boy Scout survival manual he had read in the past, and then was rescued by members of a following generation.

(I'm surprised Pete hasn't chimed in here yet...)

Happy & Safe Diving,
Scuba-sass :)

This guy was on the TODAY show this morning along with the Captian of the sailing vessel that saved him.

How about the Captain that left him? You mean HE wasn't on the show? :11:

MikeFerrara:
If they aren't aware of it you should mention the system that DAN has. I haven't looked at it but they developed it specifically because so many divers have been left behind.

I really like this system. I emailed the DAN link to the shop owner. I hope he implements it.

I think there are lessons to be learned all around. The people on the boat screwed up, both the crew and the guy's 'buddies' - assigned buddies or actual.

But, the guy surfaced 400 feet from the boat - a little over a football field, and all he could initially do was blow a whistle. The other report says he was waving a bright yellow/green SMB/safety sausage when he was found. No info as to whether he deployed it earlier. Regardless of what he had with him, it wasn't adequate to alert the boat.

I have to agree that 'carrying some means of signalling across 400 feet' would be a lesson to take away from this mess - both an audio signal such as a DiveAlert and an active visual signal such as a 10 watt HID lighthead, a mirror, or an inflatible SMB large enough to be seen farther away than the length of a football field.

Glad the guy made it through the ordeal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom