Missing Divers - Komodo National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just heard on the news they were found. As usual you are a great source of information. Seems like the TV news programs are antiquated.

Hand held 5 watt Li-on powered VHF radio with International capabilities and 5-14 mile range (West Marine, Radio Shack - $150) and an OtterBox rated to 100 feet ($20).

Instant communication with the dive boat if VHF equipped, which most are .....priceless.

No GPS in the VHF yet, but I'm sure its coming.

That's a good idea, I will look into it. Thank you for your input. I guess if you really want GPS just add a handheld unit to your otterbox as well.
The only issue would be not getting the radio wet when you tried to use it..

Leisure Pro has the loudest whistle made at $40 - or ask Scubatoys to match the price.
[c]
AQUDA1.JPG

Dive Alert Signaling Device, Fits All Standard Power Inflators (DA1) from LeisurePro.com
[/c]
Happy for the lucky divers. Here's some pics of where they were, starting with large area pic and zooming in...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 98
They were all rescued today, having drifted to Rinca Island. ScubaJennifer called it right about making it to a local island. Guess they didn't plan on having to fight the Komodo dragons on the island...

Hand held 5 watt Li-on powered VHF radio with International capabilities and 5-14 mile range (West Marine, Radio Shack - $150) and an OtterBox rated to 100 feet ($20).

Instant communication with the dive boat if VHF equipped, which most are .....priceless.

No GPS in the VHF yet, but I'm sure its coming.

I was wondering.. How would the conversation with the boat go?
Hi, I can't see you. Where are you?
I'm here, where are you?
With a land reference I can see it being helpful, but without one, other than letting someone know you are still within range and still alive, how does it help?
Granted if you could see the boat, you could tell them if they were pointed the right way. It seems a reasonable price to be able to communicate. Does anyone know if a VHF radio has ever assisted with a rescue?
If it did have GPS that would be ideal.

Thanks

OK EPIRB's are one solution, but not ideal in many ways. Some kind of two way radio/GPS communication system which can send your position seems like a potential solution...

Someone's already come up with that. It's called... an EPIRB. :D

Sorry. Joking aside, the current generation of COSPAS-SARSAT transmitters (406 MHz) send digital codes to satellites, which then relay it to search-and-rescue co-ordination centers on the ground. The digital code can optionally include GPS information, if the transmitter has that data available. You can buy EPIRBs which just transmit their registration number (generally cheapest, but rely on searchers to have equipment to help zero-in on the transmitter), EPIRBs with an interface where you can plug in a data cable connecting to a GPS receiver, or you can buy EPIRBs with a built-in GPS receiver. The older generation 121.5 MHz signals are purely analog, and depend only on multiple satellite passes to estimate transmitter location.

Reporters don't like it when they can't write about shark infected waters...! :11:

Just ordered one (Dive Alert Signal)! Reading about these past two incidences should spike sales of these bad boys.

AZ

Great to see they where found. The CNN article doesn't give much detail on how they got seperated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom