Missing Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just remember to keep the batteries current... and never use rechargeables on something like that they don't last as long as nicads do.
I guess you mean Alkalines? NiCds are rechargeable.

That's why you should always have an up line on a wreck and never leave the flag if you are drifting. Strange but true, I have seen a number of divers who don't follow these simple rules. An ounce of prevention and all that!

From http://www.utc-digital.com/
The revolutionary UDI device combines world-first two-way digital messaging technology, SOS and homing capabilities, a state-of-the-art dive computer and 3D compass – for a complete underwater system that let’s you share, connect and stay safe.

Agree - too gadgety, without specifications - I have never liked "it does everything" applications.

I guess you mean Alkalines? NiCds are rechargeable.

:facepalm:I sure did... cat was arguing with the TV again, and I lost the small part of my brain that was functioning...
I am going to go sit in the corner with my dunce cap on now....

when all geeky technology fails where will "you" (generic you) be and how will you do for yourself. It is a question we all need to answer for ourselves..
That is why we carry mirrors, SMB's, whistles, lights, etc. Hopefully there is some kind of protocol put in place to do everything possible to prevent a lost diver in the first place, and a plan in case something does go wrong. Self rescue 10 miles from shore, in rough seas, is not likely, especially at the mercy of a 5 knot current.

While this is a diving forum, this comment applies to anyone on the water.. You can have x amt of redundant systems and a battery operated device.. IF all of them fail, what will you do? It is a question anyone who plays on Mother Ocean needs to ask and answer for themselves. YMMV

The chances of every device failing is slim to none. Redundancy by your buddy carrying their own safety gear makes electronic gear even safer. Seems this buddy pair did a great job staying together :)

Just remember a flashlight in the dark can be seen by a boat as:
starlight reflection on the water
blending with the lights on land
blending with the stars themselves.. esp if you are bobbing up and down in waves..

A strobe of some kind works a bit better...
Any kind of bright light could signal someone using a FLIR from the sky. Thank goodness our Coast Guard is well equipped!

FWIW Nothing wrong with Lithium batteries. My HID has a 10aH pack in it. As Jax said carrying a couple lights is a good idea, and I just took it for granted since I consider my lights part of my kit.

Their outstretched hand was seen above a wave by a Sheriff's Marine Patrol Deputy off a USCG boat using NVG's. Something like 10 miles from their LKP -- SKilled SAR team effort+Good search Equip and a very lucky natural 20 dice roll...

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

I have considered all sorts of gizmo's over the years for drift diving. Using sealed pvc tubes with smoke flares wieghted with lead to be nuetrally bouyant and diveable. Those long vinyl rolled up tale tails would be great from the air. I am getting the Nautilus. If nothing else it is a divable VHF radio. :30 minutes of talkie time is short but used correctly it is a life saver. The distress beacon would be great if more radios had the DSC 70.

Two LED back up lights has a long burn time but as said that could look like a lot of things. I normally dive during the daytime so I always thought a orange smoke flare would be best unless the wind was really howling in a sudden rainstorm of limited vis.

The best defense is a good offense. Listen to the briefing and LEARN how to navigate with a compass. This way you will come up where the Dive op will be looking for you.. in this specific case they were on a private boat and well.... no speculation but we have all seen them...

great thoughts Eric. I think, too those who dive off East Coast Fla need to consider the Gulf Stream and its effects on the water.. I would be willing to bet good money they were caught in an offshoot of it at that per knot speed.. It is much like a beach rip current and to not get drawn north fast one has to learn to recognize that fact and know how to swim to get out of it..
As a sailor, we talk all the time about "getting a lift" going north from The Steam. It usually runs about 5-7 knots north.. and comes in fairly close to the Fla Coastline..

I have done enough offshore sailing at night to know that a single beam flashlight or even a strobe could be possibly hard to find in wave action.. redundant systems do fail, despite some comments to the contrary... btdt or seen that to be correct.

I wonder IF a smoke flare could make it to depth? that most asuredly would get seen.. I wish someone would make a personal epirb that could do to depth with a diver.. the nautilus limitations are 18 klicks.. and you have to be in that area to catch it..
Sad the diving industry has not caught up with the boating industry when it comes to rescue devices.. although the Nautilus lifeline is a good start..

Their outstretched hand was seen above a wave by a Sheriff's Marine Patrol Deputy off a USCG boat using NVG's. Something like 10 miles from their LKP -- SKilled SAR team effort+Good search Equip and a very lucky natural 20 dice roll...

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

I have considered all sorts of gizmo's over the years for drift diving. Using sealed pvc tubes with smoke flares wieghted with lead to be nuetrally bouyant and diveable. Those long vinyl rolled up tale tails would be great from the air. I am getting the Nautilus. If nothing else it is a divable VHF radio. :30 minutes of talkie time is short but used correctly it is a life saver. The distress beacon would be great if more radios had the DSC 70.

Two LED back up lights has a long burn time but as said that could look like a lot of things. I normally dive during the daytime so I always thought a orange smoke flare would be best unless the wind was really howling in a sudden rainstorm of limited vis.

The best defense is a good offense. Listen to the briefing and LEARN how to navigate with a compass. This way you will come up where the Dive op will be looking for you.. in this specific case they were on a private boat and well.... no speculation but we have all seen them...

I believe a smoke flare in a sealed pvc wieghted tube would dive just jim dandy. PVC Sch40 has a PSI rating of 500# and that's a WHOLE bunch of ATM's. I was thinking a screw cap to allow for insepctions. I wonder about the strikeability once taken out of the dry tube with wave action wetting it. At $26.00 each repetitive R&D is expensive..

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

oh and it is Saint Lucie County..not Lucy the little football kicking tease...

Back
Top Bottom