Missing Scuba's diver's body found......missing since 1981!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
I'm sure you were just being funny, but besides any issue of battery life of 25 years, he didn't have one in 1981.

Yes of course battery life would be the issue however in 81 there were already some electronic computers around.
I believe the Hans Hass DecoBrain and Orca Edge date from 79, with full production in the early 80s.
See some pictures here:
http://www.divetable.de/museum_g.htm

We had something similar with a friend of ours that lost her Mosquito while doing a wreck dive with us at 36m. Anyway we dived the same site the following day and the boat owner found it in one of the corridors. Needless to say it was totally saturated after 24 hours at 36m and requiring a ridiculous deco stop.

I lost an Orca SkinnyDipper at 50' on the first dive of a Catalina Vacation and found it on the last dive 6 days latter. It spent it several weeks telling me to "ascend slower".

Courtneyf82:
I guess Im just spoiled by where I live, but fresh water really doesnt appeal to me at all, of course if I lived in the midwest or something, I would probably be all about the river, all the free refrigerators and trash you can handle.

Well I guess you could call the those 5000 shipwrecks in the Great lakes trash, but it might not be the best way to describe them.? It's been said by some, that the many oif the wrecks in the Great Lakes, are the best preserved in world.

I've been told that the combination of colder freshwater (less deterioration), and absence of little coral like creatures makes for some great dive sites.

I've only personally seen four so far, but hopefully, I'll get the chance to see many more in the nyears to come.

Sure, I'd love to do some blue water diving, but I wont complain if it doesn't happen for a while, I've got pleanty to see in my own backyard.

ok....when is someone going to tell the press that the correct term for scuba tanks is either "scuba tanks" or "air tanks"?

I would rather the press call the tanks, "Nitrogen tanks" than "Oxygen tanks". At least "Nitrogen Tanks" would be legit due to the composition of air or nitrox being more Nitrogen than anything else. I am not sure about Tri-mix.

miketsp:
Yes of course battery life would be the issue however in 81 there were already some electronic computers around.
I believe the Hans Hass DecoBrain and Orca Edge date from 79, with full production in the early 80s.
See some pictures here:
http://www.divetable.de/museum_g.htm

We had something similar with a friend of ours that lost her Mosquito while doing a wreck dive with us at 36m. Anyway we dived the same site the following day and the boat owner found it in one of the corridors. Needless to say it was totally saturated after 24 hours at 36m and requiring a ridiculous deco stop.

First that link is broken.

Second Orca dive computers were not available until after his dive in 1981.

Third the Hans Hass was in commerical dive use only and had depth restrictions which would not have made it practical for this dive profile.

Bottom line is 25 years ago this guy would not have had a recreational dive computer, by any stretch.

DiverBuoy:
First that link is broken.

Second Orca dive computers were not available until after his dive in 1981.

Third the Hans Hass was in commerical dive use only and had depth restrictions which would not have made it practical for this dive profile.

Bottom line is 25 years ago this guy would not have had a recreational dive computer, by any stretch.

I just tested the links in the page and the site came up OK for me.
Just in case try:
http://www.divetable.de/kap2.htm
for the Hans Haas
http://www.divetable.de/kap3.htm
for a later example of the ORCA

Anyway here is a photo of a production Deco-Brain from 82 and I remember seeing one of the pre-production series in 81 with a part-time commercial diver we had under contract.

Do you know when Orca Edge computers were available?
The sites on the Internet are pretty divided between 1979 and 1983.

Again these systems were not available when his dives were made my friend, no question these were early models ... and around the time of the availability of the Pet and Timex Sinclair. But not in any sort of mass production. There were previously a number of surface fed systems but only commercially available models with independant portable power sources.

We are of course certain this diver didn't have any one of those mounted as a little watch-type thing on his arm. Don't get me wrong, I feel confident you have interpreted my pokings all in good fun ... a nostalgic tangent and a fun read. By the way I've tried the original link again from 3 networks, 3 versions of IE, 1 version of mozilla firefox, 3 operating systems .. without success. It must be a Southern California thing trying to pull up the .de extension or possibly a language pack or regional settings issue, not sure. Anywho best wishes to you miketsp

Just a note, the links work here in Maryland, USA WinXP Home via cable modem, using Firefox 1.5.0.1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom