Mission trip to Roatan, want to dive while there.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadale

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My church is going on a mission trip to Roatan July 5-12. I finally found out that we are staying at the Executive Inn. During the day we will spend most of our time in Pandytown (sp?) constructing a playground and doing puppet and mime shows.

I want to dive while in Roatan. Is it possible to do any shore diving? The reason for this is it would be necessary for me to dive after 6 pm or early morning between 6-8. If shore diving is available where is the closest place to get tanks.

What boats would be close that would go out for a night dive? What days do they go out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dale

I'm pretty sure Executive Inn is somewhere around French Harbour. So that puts you about 3 miles away from CocoView or Fantasy Island (both farther east) Cocoview's "Front Yard" is a well known shoredive site. As is the Prince Albert wreck there. Both are AI resorts but CCV takes walk-ins during the day, I don't know about at night. From their website:
Night boat diving is available one night each week, usually on Wednesday for an additional charge of $20 per person. (Minimum of 8 divers must sign up for the boat trip.)
CCV also has a policy about having to dive with their DM ($25 for non-guests) if you've never dove there before. Welcome to CoCo View Resort
I don't know anything about FIBR except it's on the other side of the bay from CCV. Both share the shoredive site. I think I read somewhere FIBR actually has closer shore access to the PA wreck.

I think you're also within 5 miles or so of the Subway Watersports location at Turquoise Bay resort. It's on the north coast but there's a cross-road nearby. From their site:
We usually do one night dive per week in Turquoise Bay
Subway Watersports

If you want to make the trek to the West End, Coconut Tree Divers does a night dive weeknights (except Fri) if they have 4 or more divers signed up. But they left the dock around 6:30. West End would be about 15 miles away (longer drive than it sounds) from French Harbour. Doubt you'd make it there in time if you left FH at 6PM. Plan to eat in the West End afterwards, it's the party part of the island. Sundowners has surprisingly good food for a bar. And there's a couple dozen other places farther west past CTD's shop. You can almost always catch a cab out in front of CTD also. Coconut Tree Divers - Roatan, Honduras

hth, if you need other current info, I was just there last month. If you have extra space in your luggage consider bringing some medical supplies for Miss Peggy's clinic or one of the other charities. MissionRoatan

P.S. Bring the strong DEET!!. I used Deep Woods Off and escaped with about 1/2 dozen bites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom