mitral valve prolapse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if you have severe mitral regurgitation, your doctor is right . . . you should have the valve repaired or replaced before the dilation of the heart gets to the point where you have significant heart failure. I am not aware of valve replacement being a complete contraindication to diving . . . you might talk to the guys at Duke about that. There is nothing I can think of about being underwater or under pressure that should affect the performance of a prosthetic valve, but obviously, the sets of people who have had valve replacements and people who dive will have a very small intersection.

Well, after 2 weeks of meds and a lot of thinking, I have decided to go for the repair surgery asap. I see my cardiologist Jan 2nd and will get the ball rolling then.
Not only do I feel like this is affecting my ability to get out and be active (diving and hiking), but it is on my mind constantly. I am not enjoying myself in day to day life as I am stressed and worried. Getting this done now will take away all this anxiety and I can move forward.

robin

agilis -- I am a military wife/dependent, so I cannot go out and "get" the best cardiologist, I have to use the doctor assigned to me by my insurance. Luckily, the cardiologist is from the local university heart dept. If I do need the surgery, which I am guessing now, I will be assigned to a heart surgeon group covered by the military (I think there are 2 here in town).

Robin, contact TriCare / TriWest and see what your options are. If you cannot go off-system, you may at least be able to be referred elsewhere, like Walter Reed. There is a hospital plane that goes back and forth across the US, taking people to and from the Medical Centers. Talk to your Patient Advocate office in the hospital, to your PCM, and to your heart doctor. There is a LOT that can be done that most people don't know to pursue.

Robin, contact TriCare / TriWest and see what your options are. If you cannot go off-system, you may at least be able to be referred elsewhere, like Walter Reed. There is a hospital plane that goes back and forth across the US, taking people to and from the Medical Centers. Talk to your Patient Advocate office in the hospital, to your PCM, and to your heart doctor. There is a LOT that can be done that most people don't know to pursue.

yes, there are 2 heart hospitals here in ABQ, and both accept Tricare.

UPDATE --- I am scheduled for my consultation with a Cardiothoraxic sugeon Friday. My cardiologist highly recommends this guy and says he does both the standard and minimally invasive valve repair surgeries. With luck, I could have the surgery in a few weeks, and be back to all normal activities in 3-6 months.

UPDATE.... I have had the cardiac cath and the transesophogeal echo.... my heart looks in good shape, my arteries are all clear. The valve has one leaflet that is flappy and doesn't close. The doc says I am the perfect candidate for REPAIR of the valve, and minimally invasive surgery. I am scheduled for the surgery on Feb 25th.

robin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom