Mixing brands and stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing wrong with diving solo. You have redundant air.

At risk of hijacking my own thread, you raise an interesting point. Do you think most DM's would be ok with me diving solo on a boat? Assuming its a typical recreation dive, nothing too difficult or hazardous.

There's nothing wrong with diving solo. You have redundant air.

Sorry man, but there are a few issues with diving solo. You might be wise to read up on kawika's story or better, what is thought to have happened to him. He was diving SOLO. Kawika Chetron / ColdWaterImages.com, Photo, Photos

As for regulators, your first and second should match in IP pressure requirements, usually most first stages are putting out something like 135PSI towards your second stage, I would check with the manufacturers specs and if they match, you should not have any problems.

Most people that run out of air will never go for the octopus, they will always shoot for the reg in your mouth because that is instinct taking over. You might want to use your octopus as a necklace setup, and also rather than set yourself up with a pony system why not get an H valve for your tank? Learn a bit more about SAC rates and how they will differ depending on depths, it will give you a better idea just how much you are breathing at depth and what you really need to leave for a reserve.

I don't have enough experience to know how different places will react to this. Everywhere I've been, it would have been fine. On charters in New England, you are for the most part expected to know what you are doing and left to your own devices. If you need help you are expected to ask.

Sorry man, but there are a few issues with diving solo. You might be wise to read up on kawika's story or better, what is thought to have happened to him. He was diving SOLO. Kawika Chetron / ColdWaterImages.com, Photo, Photos

Of course there are issues with diving solo, but if you understand those issues and are prepared for them, there is nothing inherently wrong with diving solo. Accidents happen diving solo or with buddies. I was in no way suggesting that the op does anything that he doesn't have the necessary skill and equipment for. Personally, my current level of training and with my current configuration, I am only willing to dive shallow familiar sites solo, where it is reasonable to use the surface as my redundant air supply.

Do you really think diving solo is more dangerous than relying on a buddy that shouldn't be in the water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom