Mixing Brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a mares vector chrome BC. The clips snapped, the zips broke within a few months of use, the LP inflator leaked at the hose connection and eventually the backplate snapped. Cant say id choose a mares bc again:)

I recently purchased 2 mares abyss regs. I didn't realize they were junk. I will dive on them this week and I guess I will find out for myself.

They came highly reccomended, and I could'nt beat the price. I found two used Dacor regs for cheap, and sent them in for the trade in program. 299 for an outstanding cold water first and second stage works for me.

got bcd's at a garage sale (lucky find)

Tanks on ebay. didn't pay more than $85 including shipping, new viz and hydro.

Fins, masks, snorkles, octo's, and accesories on scuba.com

You might also check with ScubaToys about a package deal. Larry has some good deals on complete scuba kits, including a computer if you want one. You definitely don't need to match gear, unless you want to.

I'll never forget when diving in the Bahamas one time that there was a couple who had all Oceanic gear, including wetsuits (turned out it was their first dives after certification). They were talking about how weird it was that my husband and I had all different brands of gear (Zeagle, SeaQuest, Aqualung, Scubapro, Oceanic, Aeris, US Divers, Henderson...) and actually asked us if all these different brands work together. It was quite a strange conversation, and frankly I'm not sure they realized prior to then that they didn't have to get one brand.

When we got off the dive boat, I had to remark to my husband that the couple obviously had an LDS who was very good at their job of selling one brand of gear!!

Scuba13:
but im 16, I have little money to spend.

Dude...not only are you 16 with little cash, but you aren't even done growing yet most likely. Take it from someone who was already cert'd young, WAIT! If you want to buy anything get a decent reg and octo, mask, and fins. Those items will last you for quite some time if you maintain it.

Same as some others here....I'm a Heinz 57 diver. Only two matching pieces I have are my mask and fins. I bought the reg and computer new, wished I'd waited on the puter. Bought other stuff off the board here and off other people. Great stuff, by the way.

As the previous poster said, don't sink a lot of cash into stuff you are going to outgrow. Spend wisely!

The Mares Abyss regulator has the current deep dive record of 318 meters, and the second deapest, 313 meters...

And, Tim O'Leary, NAUI head of Technical Operations, uses the Mares M1 RGBM Dive Computer...

And, Mares makes the best fins in the world, the Avanti Quattro...

Good enough...

1RUSTYRIG:
Dude...not only are you 16 with little cash, but you aren't even done growing yet most likely. Take it from someone who was already cert'd young, WAIT! If you want to buy anything get a decent reg and octo, mask, and fins. Those items will last you for quite some time if you maintain it.

... He(She) must be at least 18 by now and hasn't been on scubaboard for over two years... :D

How do you guys dig up these threads... :huh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom