mixing ssi and padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me get this straight. NAUI accepted you as their certified diver without you having completed the whole diving course? I do beleive you,but that doesn't make sense for what NAUI did. If you finish the course in one agency then you must receive this specific c-card. What NAUI did was not clever at all. Of course there is the possibility of your instructor having filled both NAUI's and PADI's papers stating that you completed both courses,but that is just cheating. No offense meaning

I don't know what it is you need to "get straight." This is EXACTLY the reason for the Universal Referral Program. I did the classroom and pool training in New York City with a NAUI instructor in a NAUI shop (SCUBA Network). I then traveled with my wife to Maui where a PADI shop (Ed Robinson) accepted my URP paperwork and logbook. I then did my open water dives with Zev Beck, a PADI instructor.

As it turned out, with all the paperwork we had to fill out, we got certs from both agencies.

Are we straight now?

"In Greece people riot when they raise the retirement age to 60. In America, Greeks work the cash register at the local diner til they die." - Tina Fey

Considering that all the dive agencies are for profit ventures, it is surprising they play so well together.

We are talking about capitalism here so there will be financial self preservation involved but divers who own dive shops know that sometimes out of scheduling and time restraints you may have to spread your training between agencies and even continents. The point is to become a safe, responsible, well trained, and hopefully avid diver.

As of last check PADI is not a member of the URF. My suggestion is to log in to divessi.com - The Ultimate Dive Experience - and check for an affiliated shop on Cozumel. There are several. In this way there will be no hiccups. Non affiliated shops can, at their option, insist on your redoing the course and any part thereof to get your checkout dives. :eyebrow:

OK, here are key statements taken directly from the PADI Pro web site. In summary, individual PADI instructors/operators can participate in the program if they wish. The opposite is also true and has actually happened: a URP program may refuse to accept the student's certification if it was completed by a PADI instructor, meaning the student may pay for and complete the OW dives but not get certified if the referring instructor so pleases.

What follows is direct quotation, although some materials have been left out.

“Universal” or “Global” Referrals​

PADI is not a proponent of “universal” or “global” referrals for several reasons. ...Generally, our legal advice has been that it will be difficult to defend, especially because the certifying instructor has not seen the student in the open water, and it can result (and has resulted) in customer service problems for the diver. However, if you choose to participate in this referral system, please make an informed choice.

How does the Universal Referral process work?

A student diver presents you with a “universal” or “global” referral. The student diver has taken his initial training through another training organization. The instructions on the form will direct you to conduct open water dives as outlined on the form and sign a statement on the referral document verifying that the student completed the dives. The student then carries the form back to his original instructor who is supposed to certify the student through his organization.

What is PADI’s position on the Universal or Global referral approach, and why?

PADI’s position on the Universal Referral program (and similar approaches) as regards divers receiving PADI credentials through such a process has also remained unchanged since the program was first presented to the RSTC in 1995. This position is based upon recommendations from legal counsel regarding the difficulty (perhaps impossibility) of defending a lawsuit resulting from a “universal” style referral process. The questions of how an instructor from one agency can be familiar enough with the standards and training requirements of a different agency to defend his actions; of how the referring (certifying) instructor can ascertain that the person conducting the open water dives was even a current, qualified instructor at the time the open water training occurred; of how the certifying organization can maintain any quality control whatsoever on the instructor conducting the open water training or have any reasonable way to know that its required open water skills were performed correctly by the student it will certify; etc.

One of diving’s most experienced attorneys, William Turbeville, as part of his analysis of the program for PADI, wrote this regarding the issue of an instructor authorizing certification for a diver whose open water training had been conducted by someone else: “It will be considerably more difficult to defend a claim of inadequate instruction if that instructor has never seen that student doing the single most important part of that student’s training – actually scuba diving.”

Upon completion of the open water dives under the Universal Referral process and issuance of a Universal Referral Temporary Card, can I consider the individual a certified diver?

This is a decision that is left to the individual dive center/resort or instructor. As with other certification agency credentials, PADI does not determine which agencies' certifications should be honored or recognized and which ones should not.

May I complete open water dives via the “universal” or “global” referral process and send the diver back to the originating instructor for certification?

Choosing to conduct a non-PADI program is completely up to you. These types of referrals are not within the scope of PADI standards and programs. Therefore, whether or not you accept them is your business choice. PADI recommends that you fully inform yourself before making such a decision by thoroughly researching the issue.

What problems have arisen from PADI Instructors accepting a “universal” or “global” referral?

So far we have seen customer service issues as well as potential liability issues that may arise after diving accidents suffered by two different Universal Referral divers. The customer service matter was that Universal Referral students had their open water dives conducted by a PADI Instructor, but the original instructor subsequently refused to issue their certifications. The students were understandably upset at everyone involved.

....[More followed in the complete document]

Will insurance offered through Vicencia and Buckley cover me if I participate in “universal” or “global” referrals?

Yes, if you are the receiving instructor for a “Universal” or “Global” referral student and you do the open water training, you’re covered.

I hope my previous post was helpful. I am sorry I missed this thread originally and did not participate.

In general, I am always surprised when people take their best guess on an agency's rules and positions and post them on a forum like this. It took me about a minute to log in and find the article above.

In general, I am always surprised when people take their best guess on an agency's rules and positions and post them on a forum like this. It took me about a minute to log in and find the article above.

If people did that threads would never have more than 2 or 3 posts and all the misinformation would end....we can't have that. :D

... I am always surprised when people take their best guess on an agency's rules and positions and post them on a forum like this. It took me about a minute to log in and find the article above.
Hmmm, well, yes... I see... I've read what PADI has had to say over the years, and I read what you downloaded, and their policy towards URP is just a muddy and slippery and a "non-policy" as ever.
As I said before, when using a PADI instructor for referral dives, make sure what they expect, and what you can expect from them, because the guidance from PADI... isn't.
If people did that threads would never have more than 2 or 3 posts and all the misinformation would end....we can't have that.
04.gif
And because it's so weasel-worded we can probably get a thousand posts trying to pin it down, but it'll still slip through at least one crack.
:)
Rick

I don't know what it is you need to "get straight." This is EXACTLY the reason for the Universal Referral Program. I did the classroom and pool training in New York City with a NAUI instructor in a NAUI shop (SCUBA Network). I then traveled with my wife to Maui where a PADI shop (Ed Robinson) accepted my URP paperwork and logbook. I then did my open water dives with Zev Beck, a PADI instructor.

As it turned out, with all the paperwork we had to fill out, we got certs from both agencies.

Are we straight now?

"In Greece people riot when they raise the retirement age to 60. In America, Greeks work the cash register at the local diner til they die." - Tina Fey

All I'm saying is that what I've learned from my instructors,either foreigners,either Greeks is that you have to complete the course in order to get the cert. Are we straight now? And what you are saying about Greeks is just stupid. Thank you very much. You have the right not to like us,but you have no right to insult ME by saying stupid things, that a stupid person said or wrote. And for your info only, all my relatives in America run their own business and are very wealthy. Thanks again. Too bad you got mad at what I wrote. I asked you a question and saying my opinion. If you don't like it,just fine.

Hmmm, well, yes... I see... I've read what PADI has had to say over the years, and I read what you downloaded, and their policy towards URP is just a muddy and slippery and a "non-policy" as ever.
As I said before, when using a PADI instructor for referral dives, make sure what they expect, and what you can expect from them, because the guidance from PADI... isn't.

And because it's so weasel-worded we can probably get a thousand posts trying to pin it down, but it'll still slip through at least one crack.
:)
Rick

It looks pretty clear to me.

As an organization, they do not support the program and prefer their own system, but individual PADI instructors and shops may choose to participate if they wish.

You just need to ask a PADI shop or instructor is willing to use the system. Some will and some won't.

What's the confusion?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom