MK5 servicing problem? or misinformed tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there's an old thread indicating Scubapro dealers are not supposed to service any shoulder-less pistons due to some liability (real or imagined) issue, so it sounds like this dealer will only cooperate and do the service if the poster can dig up a shouldered piston somewhere, even if the shoulder-less piston is still in good shape.

That's what I'm thinking, too. And that's why I'm looking for the shouldered replacement. Anyone have one to sell me?
If I needed to get another reg (and I'm inclined to "pre-owned, serviced/rebuilt"), should I upgrade to something like the mk25, or go with another mk5, since they are favored and proven to be so reliable by so many divers? Your experienced opinions?

Another option if you don't mind switching brands is a later model Conshelf, lots of them around. The are very dependable, easy to service and except for main body parts, all the service parts are available....or another option is just to do the service yourself, it's not hard.

The piston upgrade is not a safety issue (if it were, there would have been a recall) so I don't understand why Scubapro would refuse to service it after withdrawing parts support for the upgraded piston (other than a ploy to sell new stuff). The Mk5 had quite a few "upgrades" late in the production life which were not applied to much of the fleet. I suspect, if you shop around, you will find quite a few Scubapro dealers happy to service your Mk5. Scubatoy is another shop you could try. The Mk10 was the replacement model for the Mk5.

The best option is to join us in the DIY forum. As mentioned earlier, the kits are available at Shop Online

COME TO THE DARK SIDE.....

Couv, I've never worked on dive gear, but I'm pretty savvy w/ tools and other repair-type stuff; I'm pretty sure I could do it well, w/ thorough instructions. But does that kit you mentioned above have the shouldered piston replacement? I would like to find one to put in; but I guess it's not always necessary unless the original is defective. thanks

No, the kit is a service kit. Unless you have a damaged piston, there is no reason to replace it.

Have a look at You Tube and pull up "Brad's helmet cam scuba regulator." Our very own SuperStar made a video of a MK 5 being rebuilt. Note the MK 5 has the un-stepped piston and somehow he is still alive.

Great to know- will check it out. I will ask my tech the condition of the piston. I suspect he was just being cautious on the advice of the SB manual. To do the servicing, is the price of any/all necessary tools going to be a factor? I work on my old VW bus, so I have tools- just don't know if I'll need many others, and tools can be costly. thanks

If you own and work on an old VW bus, then you certainly have: 1) a high tolerance for misery, and 2) little regard for your personal safety, so getting involved with regulator repair and service will be right up your alley! :D(I say that as a former owner of a 65 microbus that I rescued from being used as a chicken coop)

You can check the condition of your piston yourself, it's easy. You need a tank, an IP gauge, and a jeweler's loupe. If the regulator does not have any IP creep with a new seat, the piston is fine. If it does creep a little with a new seat, you can carefully inspect the edge with good light and a the jeweler's loupe. Any scratches or flaws on the knife edge at the end of the piston shaft will be easy to see. Your regulator is likely already apart (hence the comment about the older style piston from the shop) so maybe ask if the guy bothered to check the IP before he took it apart, and ask if it was creeping.

There may be other reasons to look for a different MK5, though. IMO, the later models with 5 LP ports and 2 modern-sized (7/16) HP ports are the most desirable. They frequently have had the brass turret retainer replaced with SS as well. You could post a photo of your MK5 and several folks on this forum can tell you what generation it is.

A good way to start with DIY regulator repair is to get the Vance Harlow book on regulator maintenance and repair. It's not unlike the old John Muir VW idiots guide, but without the great drawings unfortunately. Between the Harlow book and the help of some fairly knowledgeable regulars on this forum, you'll find it very easy and inexpensive to get into servicing your own MK5. Best of all, and to me this is a REAL plus, you will never have to listen to some BS about old regulators from a dive shop again. Some dive shops have excellent techs, many do not, but ALL of them are in the business of selling new regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom