Moalboal Trip Report (continuation from Malapascua Trip Report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, I had a re-read of your awesome trip report... What caught my eyes, was the mention of the guy you met at the Cebu bar who was looking to start a liveaboard business. I hope this is true liveaboard as IMHO I think this could do well given all the great sites around Cebu along with the convenience of flying directly into Cebu Int'l Airport...

I wish for a reasonably priced LOB - matching the prices of the economical rooms in PH & the wonderful & cheap diving... Sorry I m cheap-skate... :blinking:

Bill, thanks for the Malapascua & Moalboal trip report. Have done Malapascua last Aug, really enjoyed it! Oh also planning for Southern Leyte next, so would appreciate a trip report. :D

Bill, thanks for the Malapascua & Moalboal trip report. Have done Malapascua last Aug, really enjoyed it! Oh also planning for Southern Leyte next, so would appreciate a trip report. :D

Thanks! I may make it back to Malapascua some day, but I think it will be a few years. To many other places in the Philippines to see :wink:. I was going to try and make it down to Apo Island this next trip, but I'm thinking now it will have to wait, I'm going to run out of time.

Perhaps on my next trip report I should include some of the process of how I plan (or in some cases "don't plan" my trips :D) I don't normally use travel agents to organize my trips for me. My last dive trip to Guam I got better prices than my two Japanese friends who used an agent :).

Availabilty and price drive my itinerary. I'll probably be in Southern Leyte a little longer than I might normally have done it, but there was a problem with availability in Cabilao. Flip side of that is I should be able to do a fairly thorough report on Southern Leyte. I'll be doing a minimum of 20 dives there plus the whale sharks so that isn't a bad thing as I'll have a chance to thoroughly explore the various dive sites around Sogod Bay.

I'm already looking down the road for my next trip after this one. I'm between doing a wreck trip (Subic/Coron) or coming back a little earlier and doing the transition trip for Tubbataha. Don't know yet... Tubbataha may have to wait until next year.

Vow very good review. I am going to CEBU this May 2008 too from BKK Thialand. Any dive shop, resort, .... recommendation?

Vow very good review. I am going to CEBU this May 2008 too from BKK Thialand. Any dive shop, resort, .... recommendation?

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Where are you going in Cebu? When I was in Malapascua, one of the places I stayed at was Hippocampus, which was right next door to the Sea Explorers operation. They appeared to be a very well run and well organized operation. Some members of the board also like Exotic.

In Moalboal I dived with Ocean Safari Philippines (better known as Nelson's Scuba Diving School) and was very happy with them. They're locally owned and operated and have been in business since 1979. I had a great experience with them. My dive guide, Benjim, was great :)

Bill,

Thanks for the extensive, informative and enjoyable to read trip report. And the pictures just made it better.

Thanks, I'm happy that you liked it. I should be headed back to the Philippines in two weeks. I'm planning a trip to Leyte this time. I'll post a report when I get back.

Thanks bill22. Firstly I want to go maolboal only but now I extend my trip to go both Malapascua and moalboal. WOuld you mind to give me the rate you got there? It will cheaper and better to book the dive on spot or not? And what do you think about the belongings when you go scuba diving? Is it safe to left in the room there?

Thanks bill22. Firstly I want to go maolboal only but now I extend my trip to go both Malapascua and moalboal. WOuld you mind to give me the rate you got there? It will cheaper and better to book the dive on spot or not? And what do you think about the belongings when you go scuba diving? Is it safe to left in the room there?

How long is your trip going to be? Hard to say about booking the dive on the spot... I've only made two trips to the Philippines at this point.... some of the other board members could probably answer that question better than I. I've heard that you can get a better deal in person sometimes, but I've also negotiated what I felt were good deals before going. I would try to negotiate ahead of time and see what kind of deal you can get.

I couldn't tell you what I paid per dive in Malapascua as that was a package deal. I had three courses included. Best to inquire at the major shops there. That would be Sea Explorers, Exotic, and Thresher Shark Divers. Maggie and Zee were there in Malapascua before me and they went with a private guide that they were happy with. I'm sure if you PM'd Maggie she could help you on that.

Sea Explorers link is: Dive Philippines, Sea Explorers, world's unique island hopping and scuba diving
Exotic: Malapascua Exotic Island Dive & Beach Resort
Thresher Shark Divers: Malapascua Island Diving, Philippines Cebu | Thresher Shark Divers

I paid 750 pesos per dive in Moalboal with Nelson's. Here's a link to their website: Moalboal OSP

I left my belonging in my room when I was there and didn't have a problem (I don't know... maybe I was lucky). I got a better rate on my room at Cocobana walking in than what they advertised on their website (I had extended my original stay in Malapascua). Time of year will make a difference I think. I basically overlapped the cutoff between low season and high season. I hit Malapascua at a very good time, as they were very busy I heard the week before I was there and a ton of people showed up the day before I left. The last morning I was in Malapascua I skipped the morning Thresher Shark dive. I was finishing up bookwork and reviewing for my Rescue final. I heard later there were so many people out that they weren't even able to move around as they normally did. Needless to say, no one saw sharks that day.

What you pay will also depend on what you want in the way of amenities, if you want to be on the beach or not, and how close to the dive shop you want to be. When I was in Moalboal, I stayed next door at Eves and there is something to be said for the convenience of that.

Any other questions please let me know...

... .also planning for Southern Leyte next, so would appreciate a trip report. :D

I just had to cancel my Southern Leyte trip yesterday ... :( sorry no trip report :shakehead::shakehead: I'll hopefully be going back to the Philippines later this year, but not sure where or when at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom