Modern Triple or Quad Manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I occasionally see questions about manifolds for triple or quad cylinders. It occurred to me that it would not be all that difficult to modify a standard modern doubles manifold.

The simplest option is to remove the isolation valve assembly from the cross-bar and take the valve bonnet to a machine shop. Have them machine/enlarge the top end for a 3/8" straight thread port like on a first stage. You can then adapt to rigid stainless steel tubing.

If that does not meet your geometry requirements, then you can have the isolation or connecting bar cut in two and have both ends machined for either an male pipe thread or a female 3/8" straight thread port, depending on how much material is available — you can keep or eliminate the isolation valve. You might be able to buy the left & right manifold valves with plugs and machine out the plugs, but I'm not sure there is enough material. Keep in mind that this method allows a lot more freedom to configure cylinders. They don’t have to be inline, one or more can be at a different height or even have hubs at a different ends.

Another option that would require less machining but are harder to find would be an old singles valve with a 3/8" straight thread port for a SPG. Remember the port would have to be drilled out to get enough flow, but could be done on a garage drill press. The downside here is no DIN option and harder to find repair parts.

As far as the additional cylinders, it depends on if you want isolation valves or not. No valves are easy. Just take an old leaking singles valve and cut off the valve and burst plug to make a bushing and have a female 3/8" straight thread or ¼" NPT port machined in. You could adapt a DIN fitting to tubing if you want the isolation valve.

My preference for tube fittings is CPV Mark VIII O-Seals, but any HP fitting is fine. You can use any combination of tubing and fittings to make your design work.

Here are some links that may be useful.

http://www.xsscuba.com/graphics/valves/manifold_thermo_new.jpg

XS Scuba Valves

OMS SCUBA Valves & Manifolds http://www.OMSdive.com

Steel and Stainless Steel Flat Faced Tube Fittings (Mark VIII O-Seal)

Attached photos show an old SPG port valve and the AGA Divator 324 that uses stainless steel tubing to connect a second cylinder. There are plenty of other ways to get the job done that will also work; hopefully this serves as food for though.

Edit: It is a good idea to hydro the manifold assembly after fabrication. A lot of hydraulic hose shops can do that for you, but be sure to clean the assembly afterwards. You may also get some grief from dive shops regarding fills, so bring the hydro certificate with you. Considering it is less of a kluge than most dive shop fill stations, many of which were never had manifolds and tubing hydroed, it should not be too much of a problem.

Attachments

• SPG Port Valve.jpg
    SPG Port Valve.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 204
  • AGA Divator Manifold.jpg
    AGA Divator Manifold.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 201
You mean like this one I made up last weekend?

TriplesManifold.jpg

No period triple manifold was ever made with 3/4" thread, they all had the 1/2" npt thread.

But a few of us, following Captain's directions, are making 3/4" triple manifolds out of US Divers J-60 J-valves by cutting off the J-valve and drilling & taping both sides for 1/4" npt. We then can use off the shelf CGA 540 oxygen fittings to mate with the tank ends of a US Divers J-62 doubles manifold. But this will give you only one post. In the above photo I have a j-elbow on the prototype but I have another non-J elbow that I will use with the tanks. The CGA 540 fittings are rated for 3,000 psi.

For a 2 post triple manifold version, use 2 J-60's and drill only one side of one of them and use a pipe threaded at both ends to connect the two valve bodies together and a CGA 540 nipple to mate with the J-62 elbow. The trick will be to get the center to center distances even for all the tanks.

Captain even has come up with a nice way to make up bands at home using only a drill press and hand tools.

A 3/4" triple manifold and a 3/4" double post double manifold built using part of a US Divers J60 single valve and a US Divers double manifold.

Attachments

• 30 cuft triples.JPG
    30 cuft triples.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC03585 (Small).JPG
    DSC03585 (Small).JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 274
Is there a more detailed procedure for building the triple manifold available?
I could wing it from the pics, but would like to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom