Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great day of diving with Aqua Tutus at South Monastery on Saturday July 22. I went in with low expectations based on earlier reports of algae blooms, and it didn't help there were no cars parked alongside the beach at 8:30am with nary a dive group in sight. Fortunately we were rewarded with spectacular dive conditions.

Both dives were 50 minutes, aided by easy entry from the south part of the beach sheltered by rocks, where waves were only 1 - 2 ft in contrast to 4+ ft breakers at the middle of the beach. For the first dive we made our way northwest around the point toward the direction of Point Lobos, the second dive followed the kelp line. Visibility opened up to 25 - 30 ft once we got under 40 ft depth, a bit hazy but at least not green. There were several curious chains of floating pelagic translucent sea salps - which I learned are called (no joke) Thetys vagina salps - too many different fishes to list, a couple decorator crabs, and a moray. Water was 51 degrees F at 50 - 60 ft depth.

There is kelp at South Monastery? enough to make it a reference point for diving?

I am hoping that this means the kelp is making comeback. For the past several years, either from N. Monastery, or driving to Lobos, I've seen negligible kelp at South Monastery

There is kelp at South Monastery? enough to make it a reference point for diving?

I am hoping that this means the kelp is making comeback. For the past several years, either from N. Monastery, or driving to Lobos, I've seen negligible kelp at South Monastery

Yes! Local divers will need to brush up on rusty kelp crawl skills, there is enough kelp to form a shady canopy over parts of South Monastery.

2 dives at Breakwater today. Nice to be back in the water after an 8 month layoff. 15-20+ vis. Beautiful topside. A bunch of nudibranchs. Warm water at 56-58. It sure felt good compared to 48-52. Two 91 minute dives. The Cormorant that likes to harass Big Bella swam by me multiple times. I tried to get a pic but it was not to be. At the end of the dive, the cormorant swam right up to me while I was in the water taking off my fins. I could have petted it if I wanted.

Two dives -- one at Carmel River Beach -- the one just to the north of Monastery, which confusingly shares a common name; and one off of San Carlos, for a few isolated sea lions, nasty cormorants, and some otters.

The times are a changin' -- the water was a full nine degrees cooler than just last week. Wore gloves today, which I had not been doing for a few weeks.

First 12˚C of the late Summer -- 17˚C and change, just last Wednesday.

Visibility ranged from about 5-6 meters -- a decent surge today and a bit of a rip outside of the Bay, with a gale warning still in the forecast . . .

Two dives yesterday at Breakwater. Hazy 15-20ft vis and a bit of surge. Still was well worth it. The vis has been consistently good this week.

Two dives yesterday at Breakwater. Hazy 15-20ft vis and a bit of surge. Still was well worth it. The vis has been consistently good this week.
Going tomorrow, what was the temp?

Lobos yesterday had 10-15 viz inside the cove down to about 40’. Between 40 and 70 viz opened up to 30-40’. Viz out at great pinnacle was amazing , it was likely pushing 70’ +. I could see shortcut reef from the South East side of the great pinnacle and the bottom at 150’ was clearly visible from 90’. The water was that beautiful blue color and the sunlight penetrated nicely. Hoping it holds cause I’m going back tomorrow :wink:

ETA: screengrab showing the color
610EAC8E-D712-43E6-9DA5-6F1E889C6478.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom