Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 16 year old Junior Divemaster daughter and I did two (2) dives this past Saturday at Breakwater. One at 9 am and the second at 11 am. Ocean was flat and calm. Tide was outgoing. Visibility was around 15 to 20 feet pretty much all around regardless if we were at 15' or 45'.

One of the most fishy dives I've experienced in a whole lot of diving at BW. Fish were all over the water column and made for a very pleasant dive. Water was roughly 56 degrees, so in our Dry Suits, we were rather warm and comfortable. No surge whatsoever.

During the second dive, a cormorant plunged down right in front of my kiddo while she was filming some sea lions. Absolutely super cool and she was beyond excited to have captured a video like that.

So many open water classes going on and heard from someone who parked next to me that he had to "semi-rescue" a person who had no training or business being in the water. Sounded to me based on what we chatted about (he spoke to the diver after he got the gentlemen out safely), that this family decided to put this older gentleman into a BCD, give the bare minimum dive briefing (no hand signals or anything that would even qualify for a DSD) and they went out. Guy got separated and was just floundering by himself. He was lucky a good Samaritan came by...

Great day of diving with my kid as it always is. She is a freaking Rockstar. Was hoping to get down this week again, but conditions look pretty bad.

Safe diving and happy bubble blowing gang!

Two dives — one in Carmel, at North Monastery, with over ten meters of visibility; and the other at San Carlos, with about six meters, and about 13˚ C at depth. Warmer water with the warmer storm -- like last year about this time.

Lots of schooling fish; the usual nasty cormorants and several moribund molas. Cnidarians were abundant, along with ctenophores, tunicates, and even a few pteropods ("sea angels") from the open ocean . . .

It’s been a dive by Braille week on both the Monterey and Carmel sides, with a single, unexpected exception being a shallow underwater return to San Carlos Beach after a safety stop — murky as hell elsewhere . . .

Two night dives yesterday at San Carlos. Vis was 5m (15 ft), a bit better than that at times. Water was 14ºC (57F).

Unfortunately, my alternate was free-flowing moderately, so I didn't get to go with the rest of the Dive 'N Trips fun dive crowd. I went over to Monterey Bay Scuba and they did a very quick check with me to see if there was anything stuck in there (there wasn't, I rinse pretty thoroughly in clean water after each dive day) and rented me another one that worked fine. They also gave me a fill very quickly to 220 bar / 3200 psi. Very nice to have a full-service shop right nearby, definitely saved me at least a dive. I don't know what was going on that night, we had 4 free-flowing octos in our group of maybe 16 people. And not cheap rental rigs, Apeks, a Legend, etc.

First dive was out to the Metridium fields, saw a huge lemon nudibranch, at least 15cm. The metridia look gorgeous at night as one would expect. 13 m / 45 ft, only 36 minutes, since I was tagging along with a different group. Props to our DM for having us do a longer than normal surface swim because there's no way we would have made it to the fields if we had dropped at my normal point. Not much kelp, not an urchin barren either. Second dive was along the wall, same stats. Somehow even though we spent the way out searching the sand, our group didn't manage to spot any octopuses, though a pair saw 5 together right when they dropped at the 7 marker.

Two night dives yesterday at San Carlos. Vis was 5m (15 ft), a bit better than that at times. Water was 14ºC (57F).

Unfortunately, my alternate was free-flowing moderately, so I didn't get to go with the rest of the Dive 'N Trips fun dive crowd. I went over to Monterey Bay Scuba and they did a very quick check with me to see if there was anything stuck in there (there wasn't, I rinse pretty thoroughly in clean water after each dive day) and rented me another one that worked fine. They also gave me a fill very quickly to 220 bar / 3200 psi. Very nice to have a full-service shop right nearby, definitely saved me at least a dive. I don't know what was going on that night, we had 4 free-flowing octos in our group of maybe 16 people. And not cheap rental rigs, Apeks, a Legend, etc.

First dive was out to the Metridium fields, saw a huge lemon nudibranch, at least 15cm. The metridia look gorgeous at night as one would expect. 13 m / 45 ft, only 36 minutes, since I was tagging along with a different group. Props to our DM for having us do a longer than normal surface swim because there's no way we would have made it to the fields if we had dropped at my normal point. Not much kelp, not an urchin barren either. Second dive was along the wall, same stats. Somehow even though we spent the way out searching the sand, our group didn't manage to spot any octopuses, though a pair saw 5 together right when they dropped at the 7 marker.
MBS is a solid crew over there. I never done a night dive - that’ll be motivation to get my AOW.

Back
Top Bottom