Monterey Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This junior has 97 and climbing. About 80 something percent isn't about looking at things but more of improvement on skills and what not. And once when August comes, it will be a year since I got certified. Anyways, gonna go to bed and gonna leave the forum for a while, thanks for the concerns, I can really feel the love among divers. :wink:

Anyways, enjoy the mess I made! :D :lol:

dude, Roy.... ppl are trying to help you out here... maybe you should listen instead of ignoring advice you don't want to hear...

Where did your magic number "start the safety stop at 500psi" come from? What does it really mean? what happens if, at that exact moment your buddy goes OOG? What if you get caught up in some kelp and it takes you longer than intended to get out? what if.....

I strongly strongly advise that you do some reading on gas management strategies. There are probably several ways to slice this pie, but at the you should at least have some understanding of why.... I would suggest you PM NWGratefulDiver for his gas mgmt handout, or look over lamont's writeup of "RockBottom". Even if you don't decide to use it, it might give you a better understanding what you are doing.

BTW, gauge inaccuracies aside, a typical intermediate pressure for SCUBA regulators is about 140psi... so 150psi really is ~= 0.

Just because you can do something once, twice or several times without problems, doesn't mean it's not inherently flawed or dangerous. # of dives is not necessarily a great indicator of experience either. Doing something poorly many times and getting away with it is really no better (in fact worse) than doing something well few times. If I could go back and talk to myself at 100 or 150 dives, I'd slap myself upside the head. I'll probably say the same thing another 200 dives down the road. Next to alot of the guys around here, I might as well have learned to dive yesterday.

I'm sorry, but to be perfectly frank, but not wanting to "waste" part of your $10 nitrox fill is just plain stupid... It's not a contest to see who can use the most gas. Next time you want to go on a boat, hit the BW or Lobos instead, and you just bought yourself an extra 500psi in the next 54 tanks of nitrox.

Perhaps a more productive (and safe) way to approach your goal (more time underwater) would be to work on improving your SAC rate while maintaining adequate reserves?

I usually don't like to throw advice like this around, especially not with this tone, but really, people are just trying to look out for you, so take from it what you will.

... back on topic....

Lobos was amazing today. Went out to 3 sisters with Ted and Allison. I'd say 50' horizontal and >50' vertical. A little on the dark side, but lots of rockfish out in the water column, and lots of various jellyfish (yeah, I suck at identifying them).

Cold though. Really really cold. One dive was enough, and then the three of us went over to Otter Bay for new hoods :p

rhlee:
dude, Roy.... ppl are trying to help you out here... maybe you should listen instead of ignoring advice you don't want to hear...

Where did your magic number "start the safety stop at 500psi" come from? What does it really mean? what happens if, at that exact moment your buddy goes OOG? What if you get caught up in some kelp and it takes you longer than intended to get out? what if.....

I strongly strongly advise that you do some reading on gas management strategies. There are probably several ways to slice this pie, but at the you should at least have some understanding of why.... I would suggest you PM NWGratefulDiver for his gas mgmt handout, or look over lamont's writeup of "RockBottom". Even if you don't decide to use it, it might give you a better understanding what you are doing.

BTW, gauge inaccuracies aside, a typical intermediate pressure for SCUBA regulators is about 140psi... so 150psi really is ~= 0.

Just because you can do something once, twice or several times without problems, doesn't mean it's not inherently flawed or dangerous. # of dives is not necessarily a great indicator of experience either. Doing something poorly many times and getting away with it is really no better (in fact worse) than doing something well few times. If I could go back and talk to myself at 100 or 150 dives, I'd slap myself upside the head. I'll probably say the same thing another 200 dives down the road. Next to alot of the guys around here, I might as well have learned to dive yesterday.

I'm sorry, but to be perfectly frank, but not wanting to "waste" part of your $10 nitrox fill is just plain stupid... It's not a contest to see who can use the most gas. Next time you want to go on a boat, hit the BW or Lobos instead, and you just bought yourself an extra 500psi in the next 54 tanks of nitrox.

Perhaps a more productive (and safe) way to approach your goal (more time underwater) would be to work on improving your SAC rate while maintaining adequate reserves?

I usually don't like to throw advice like this around, especially not with this tone, but really, people are just trying to look out for you, so take from it what you will.

So VERY well said !!!!!:wink:

Ben_ca:
180 ish I think...

Yup.. the past six months have been kind of slow dive count wise for me too. Maybe you should start counting your 100 minute grand circuit dive (where you visit three sites) as three dives instead of one.

rhlee:
... back on topic....

Lobos was amazing today. Went out to 3 sisters with Ted and Allison. I'd say 50' horizontal and >50' vertical. A little on the dark side, but lots of rockfish out in the water column, and lots of various jellyfish (yeah, I suck at identifying them).

Cold though. Really really cold. One dive was enough, and then the three of us went over to Otter Bay for new hoods :p

Why oh why did work have to send me to Wisconsin! :(

KMD:
Why oh why did work have to send me to Wisconsin! :(

It could be worse! I'm on call this weekend, so I'm just up the road from Monterey with no diving allowed. :(

But I'm trying to get a "play hookey" Lobos Friday dive together on the 25th. Interested?

I thank you all for helping me and it is always welcome. But I will tell you why I am not listening to all here.

What started this whole problem was Ben's choice on referring to someone other then the username. The one thing Ben_ca did was called a "junior." And that was the first post he posted at me and that was my welcome reception. Also it sends me a message that he is probably a cocky person ( not saying he is) and that he has the nerve to degrade me down to by saying the word junior. So in reality, whenever Ben calls me "junior", he is probably asking for trouble.

How can I accept help, suggestions, and advice from others when they call me something out of context like junior instead of my name and expect me to listen? The last time I checked, I DO have a name right?

I don't know why he didn'the refer to that name he made up for me when I first met him, I probably would have told him to knock it off or give him some nasty words back. So in reality, it was Ben who started the fire here and man, what a heck of a fire it started. Anyways, that has taken a toll on me too much, damage has been done, and you guys have made me into a a more difficult man then I am already and I am completely out of here, I get more respect in person then on the internet anyway. PM me if you have questions, concerns, commons, and etc.

Roy,

You and I have never met, but I've read your posts here and you seem like a nice enough guy. For whatever it's worth, I'll throw my $0.02 in against my better judgement. First off, you called yourself "junior" before Ben did (go re-read the thread). Second, I don't think Ben called you "junior" (as in a nickname). It sounded to me like he said you are junior to him in experience, which you are. I don't think he meant it in a derogatory way. I have met Ben and had the priviledge of diving with him, and I can assure you that even with 97 dives you can learn a lot from him.

I think you need to set your ego aside and acknowledge that there are divers out there with much more experience than you that are trying to help you. This particular lesson (gas planning) is not one you want to learn the hard way. If you want respect, begin by respecting those that have been doing this far longer than you. If I've offended you I apologize- that's not my intent. Safe diving.

Regards,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom