Monterey Thurs 11/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
4 of us (2 instructors & 2 newly certified) are headed to Monterey for the 1st time, I did a search and have read all the past posts regarding The Popular sites.

I was Just wondering where the best place to dive for the two divers doing their first ocean dives ie: easy entry, no - low current, decent vis., and plenty to see?

Hands down...

Sheltered, so the surge rarely causes trouble...But things to see along the rocks and in the small bit of kelp that is there.

Breakwater is the training location most used in Monterey. Macabee is probably second....

Sean

Breakwater is probably the easiest. This sounds like a fun dive so here are a couple of dive plans you can try out:
1. The wall: notice the rock wall on the right side of the beach. Enter the water on the right side after going down the stairs, swim out staying about 15 feet from the wall. When you get about even with the fence on top of the wall drop down. Swim to the wall and follow it out. You'll probably drop in about 25 ft of water and have a max depth of 45 feet. Remember to turn around.

2. Metridian fields. (This dive might be more challenging) Go into the water on the left side of the beach. Swim out and to the left (if you were facing the water) You want to get lined up with the road that is running towards the water (basically ends at the outhouse) Go straight out for quite a along the invisible line of the road extended. If you look off to your left you can see the wall. Go down when the last house on the wall is dead to your left when you are facing the road. Head East underwater, turn around at about half gas and head SW You will probably drop down in the 35-40 foot range (if you are shallower you probably didn't go out far enough) and have a max depth of 45-60 feet.

I prefer doing the second dive, but the wall is much easier and you are less likely to get lost. If you don't have a compass you could get fairly lost in the metridians area.

Here are pictures from last saturday at the metridians.
http://s87910825.onlinehome.us/breakwater10-25_web/index.html

Burner once bubbled...

2. Metridian fields. (This dive might be more challenging) Go into the water on the left side of the beach. Swim out and to the left (if you were facing the water) You want to get lined up with the road that is running towards the water (basically ends at the outhouse) Go straight out for quite a along the invisible line of the road extended. If you look off to your left you can see the wall. Go down when the last house on the wall is dead to your left when you are facing the road. Head East underwater, turn around at about half gas and head SW You will probably drop down in the 35-40 foot range (if you are shallower you probably didn't go out far enough) and have a max depth of 45-60 feet.

I find it easier to locate the concrete building on the left side of the beach, swim out slightly to the right of it...Go out 50 ft or so, descend and head left, towards the underwater pipe that is approx 1ft in diam. Follow the pipe to the end and then take a heading same as the pipe, right to the field....

Reverse course to find the end of the pipe again.
Good luck!

I think the Metridium fields would be a bit challenging for the newer divers.

I would second the wall, and also the kelp forest towards the other end of the beach. There is a LOT to see in there.

So, my suggestion:
first dive, do the breakwater dive as Burner suggested.
second dive, enter on the northern end of the beach (there is a ramp down to the beach there) and swim the short distance to about halfway through the swath of kelp parallel to the beach. Submerge, and work your way parallel to the beach through the kelp forest. The depth here will be 15~25ft. If you look inside some of the deeper crevices, you will be able to find red abalone.

Metridian fields is generally a longer surface swim, and involves more navigation. The wall is very easy, maybe do it twice.
From the current wave report I think that there will be a decent amount of surge on Thursday, and I would try to stay deeper then 20 feet to avoid it. My dive on saturday had slightly less surge, and it was really annoying when we hit about 10 feet at the end of dive.
The middle of breakwater kelp area dive that was suggest may be excellent on thursday as there won't be many students stirring up the water.
Here is the swell report:
http://cdip.ucsd.edu/models/forecast/fm_mon_xxx.gif
It isn't clear what time between wednesday night and thurday night the waves start to die down, but if they are 12-14 feet in the open ocean expect some surge.

Thanks everyone for the advice, We will definately hit the wall first, and than depending on the conditions and how they do / feel. we will decide where to do the second dive of the day. I would like to get them out to the Kelp if conditions permit.

Burner, Thanks for the link, and the photos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom