Monterey trip in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone planning anything in Monterey for this upcoming weekend?

It is a 3 day weekend so it might be busy, but I don't know. Anyone got anything for Sunday or Monday?

Wristshot.

I been on top of a lot of water in the last month (skiing) but I ain't been under the water since last year!

Wristshot:
Anyone planning anything in Monterey for this upcoming weekend?

It is a 3 day weekend so it might be busy, but I don't know. Anyone got anything for Sunday or Monday?

Wristshot.

I been on top of a lot of water in the last month (skiing) but I ain't been under the water since last year!

This week is looking really nice! I dove Fire Rock at Still Water Cove and Hopkins Deep Yestarday with a pretty big swell and the vis was still pretty damn good (At Fire Rock) at least 40 feet but as expected a pretty good surge too but no biggie just go with the flow...Hopkins was sucky but it should get better, the swell is going down. I hope it hold up for this comming Weekend.

The water was cold as hell 49 degrees brrrrrrrrrrrr

CALI68:
This week is looking really nice! I dove Fire Rock at Still Water Cove and Hopkins Deep Yestarday with a pretty big swell and the vis was still pretty damn good (At Fire Rock) at least 40 feet but as expected a pretty good surge too but no biggie just go with the flow...Hopkins was sucky but it should get better, the swell is going down. I hope it hold up for this comming Weekend.

The water was cold as hell 49 degrees brrrrrrrrrrrr

My Vyper registered 52 degrees at Breakwater. The swell was at least four feet there.

scubasean:
My Vyper registered 52 degrees at Breakwater. The swell was at least four feet there.

I should have mentioned I was at 80 feet. My Oceanic VT Pro read 49 at Fire Rock and Deep Hopkins. As I said before Brrrrrrrrrr.

Chuck Tribolet:
Wait two or three months. You may well see 44F.

Can you spell "drysuit"?

Chuck

I'm only too familiar with the temps in Moterey.

Can you spell "Can't afford one"

Seriously though it's funny you mentioned it I'm Buying one tomorrow...wierd.

If any of the rest of you are thinking of coming down on the 13th to join us in Monterey, please let me or Brian know as reservations will need to be arrianged, if not it looks like only two of us are going. Chuck, were you planning on stopping in? Looks like it's going to be picture perfect weather.
On a similar vien.. For those who wish to do a weekend trip, We'll have to know way in advance, because at least at Pt. Lobos, the weekends fill up very early. I guess we could do a dive of a boat or some other non State property location from shore. Another possability, is a North Coast dive.

No, I'm not planning on stopping -- my boat is down waiting
for parts (steering cable, should be in Sat.), and I'm doing
a presentation at the Northern California Underwater
Photographic Society that night. And I'm really buried
at work right now.

There are lots of state property locations where you
could dive from (everything below the mean high tide
mark belongs to the state). Just Pt. Lobos requires
reservations (mostly due to the limited parking at
Whaler's Cove, BTW). But given the current forecast:

FRI...S TO SW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT... WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT W SWELL 7 TO 9 FT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN LATE.
SAT...NW WINDS 5 TO 15 KT... WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT W SWELL 9 TO 11 FT.
SUN...N WINDS 5 TO 15 KT... WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT W SWELL 10 TO 13 FT.

I'd be thinking Breakwater or DelMonte for a beach dive.
The commercial boats might get south on Sat., but Sun.
they will be at Hopkins Deep.

Brian and Rick,

I want to hear about today's diving. Maybe you have a great Friday the 13th story? I plan to be in Monterey on Sunday & Monday. Was it worth the drive?

nkw5:
Brian and Rick,

I want to hear about today's diving. Maybe you have a great Friday the 13th story? I plan to be in Monterey on Sunday & Monday. Was it worth the drive?

As I drove down Hwy 1 Friday morning into Monterey I could see the bay was calm and knew the diving would probably be good. Rick and I met at San Carlos beach aka Breakwater and he followed me to Carmel where he parked his car and we went the last two miles to Pt Lobos together arriving about nine. On the way we passed Monastery which would have been an easy entry. At Pt Lobos the tide was out a bit and the surface was calm enough to water ski on.

We were both diving with new drysuits so we were conservative on our first dive. We stayed in Whalers Cove. Visibility ranged from 20-35 feet. Between dives we met Abalone Pam the president of a Sacramento dive club that was also diving there.

The second dive we went out further and deeper and the viz improved to about 40-45 in some areas.

I thought the drive was well worth it. Saw a lot of cool stuff with surge only in a few areas. Pt Lobos is a great place to dive.

We did have wind and a few sprinkles so I dont know if conditions will hold.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom