Monterey trip in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friday the 13th? Hmmm? I'm not scared.
Did anyone notice that the Pt. Lobos hyperlink has Jan 2004, Feb 2003, March 2004?

diverrick:
What say we plan on Friday the 13th of Feb. That way hopefully some folks with weekends off, can sqeeze in an extra day and come with us. So far I think it is only us two Brian.
We can call it on Wednesday or Thursday, if it doesn't look good. anyone who is interested please post here so we can get together, we'll set the time to meet, later if this date works out.

Sounds fine. BTW I have both my new tanks and new DS to use on dives. Suit arrived today. Will try it out in pool first though. Just trying it on seems like it will be easier to dive with than my Whites DS.Dove my new tanks last Sunday at Breakwater in wetsuit. Not as cold as you might expect.Love the tanks.

We could make reservations but they cost a few bucks. Most weekdays are not full so we could take our chances. Up to you. I don't mind paying and losing the $ if conditions are not suitable.

Later

Chuck:

Am I reading your site correctly? It appears we will have dreaded NW swells around fifteen feet. Does your site contain any info on distance between waves? Appreciate the info you provide. I dislike driving 3 hours to find what I should have known were obviously bad conditions. Morgan Hill would seem the perfect location for a diving techie.

Thanks in advance

Dunno what day you're talking about, but from:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/wrhq/TotalForecast.csh?TotalForecast+Monterey+PZ+555

...GALE WARNING TODAY... ...HIGH SURF ADVISORY TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...
TODAY...S WINDS INCREASING TO 20 TO 35 KT...WITH GUSTS TO 40 KT WINDS BECOMING SW AND DIMINISHING TO 15 TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. COMBINED SEAS BUILDING TO 11 TO 13 FT AT 17 SECONDS. RAIN...HEAVY AT TIMES. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.
TONIGHT...SW TO W WINDS 20 TO 30 KT... WIND WAVES 4 TO 7 FT W SWELL BUILDING TO 18 TO 22 FT AT 17 SECONDS. SHOWERS.
TUE...NW WINDS 15 TO 30 KT... WIND WAVES 3 TO 6 FT W SWELL 20 TO 24 FT AT 17 SECONDS DURING THE MORNING...SUBSIDING TO 14 TO 18 FT AT 17 SECONDS BY AFTERNOON. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.
TUE NIGHT...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT... WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT NW SWELL 13 TO 15 FT.
WED...N WINDS 10 TO 20 KT... WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT NW SWELL 9 TO 12 FT.
THU AND FRI...NW WINDS 10 TO 20 KT... WIND WAVES 2 TO 4 FT NW SWELL 6 TO 9 FT.

Yes, it's going to be BIG! My personal rule is go diving
if NW swell is 8' or less, a W swell 10' or less.

Actually, the very southern end of San Jose would be
better. 20 minutes closer to work, 10 minutes farther
from Monterey. But I like Morgan Hill.

And in response to your PM, a link to my site is fine.

I cant get away from work during the week but I am very interested if you are going on a weekend!! I also am waiting on a new drysuit and hopefully I can try it out this weekend.

Anyone going to Monterey this saturday by chance?

Brian Mathews

Also, don't forget the AT&T Golf Touney is this weekend (actually now). Traffic could be an issue on 17 mile drive.

BrianM:
I cant get away from work during the week but I am very interested if you are going on a weekend!! I also am waiting on a new drysuit and hopefully I can try it out this weekend.

Anyone going to Monterey this saturday by chance?

Brian Mathews

Not this weekend but check with Melfox26. Hopefully future weekend trips will be posted.

TRAFFIC won't be an issue on the 17 mile drive, ACCESS
will be an issue. But divers rarely need to go on the 17MD.
I have never been on it for anything dive-related other
than one time I launched my whaler at Stillwater. And
Stillwater launch is closed this time of year.

Conditions remain marginal for the weekend anyway.
You can probably do a surgy dive at the Breakwater or
Del Monte.

Chuck

SUN...NE TO E WINDS 5 TO 15 KT... WIND WAVES 1 TO 3 FT NW SWELL 3 TO 7 FT.

This doesn't looks very bad.

That's the Monterey Bay forecast. The 3' swells are in
the mouth of Santa Cruz Harbor. Do you want to dive
there? The problem with the Monterey Bay forecast is
that theres ALWAYS some part of the bay that's
sheltered. But usually it's Santa Cruz.

It's much easier to extrapolate what's going to happen
at the Breakwater from the offshore (which tells what
Neptune is predicted to be throwing at you) than from
the bay forecast (which has the whole range of what's
happening in the bay).

Here's the offshore C&M forecast from
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/TotalForecast/Monterey/PZ555.html

SAT...N WINDS 15 TO 25 KT... WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT NW SWELL 8 TO 11 FT.
SAT NIGHT AND SUN...N TO NE WINDS 10 TO 20 KT...WITH LOCAL GUSTS TO 25 KT BELOW GAPS AND CANYONS. WIND WAVES 2 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 8 TO 11 FT.

Not too hot. As I said, you could probably do a surgy
dive at the Breakwater or Del Monte.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom