mooring balls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Bob,

We agree with you, and any change in the Marine Park by tying navigational aids to the reef, or changing the area to serve as navigational marker is strictly forbidden.

Navigation the reefs on Bonaire is very simple and these are not need.
Regards,

Sabine Engel
on behalf of
Bonaire National Marine Park Manager

STINAPA Bonaire
P.O. Box 368
Dutch Caribbean
Phone: (599) 717 8444 Fax: (599) 717 7318
E-mail: marinepark@stinapa.org
www.stinapa.org

The mooring lines are attached to yellow markers which float on the surface. (Not sure how the boats would easily find them otherwise?)

Thanks for the info.

Point of note: on Oahu, the moorings sit underwater at a depth of 10-25 ft. It's a way to maintain some control over sites and prolong the life of the ball. The old school captains have reference points on the land that they line up to find each spot. The divemaster, me, a few years back, would sit on the bow and act as spotter. When I would spot the flash of the ball at depth, i'd throw up my fist and the captain would hit reverse while i slipped off the bow and freedived down to the ball with a boat leash in my hand to clip off to the mooring. it took a little practice and some determination but it was fun as heck.

younger captains with fancier equipment use coordinates, but one runs the risk of equipment malfunction ruining a dive charter. also, the coordinates tend to be closely guarded. just one way to keep a mainland outfit from setting up a competitive shop.

Interesting. When I asked for a 6# weight at CCB I was asked why. I said, "because I intend to set it on the sand up at Nukove to anchor an smb and a 4# might not be enough". They said I couldn't do that and wouldn't give me the weight.

Dear Bob,

We agree with you, and any change in the Marine Park by tying navigational aids to the reef, or changing the area to serve as navigational marker is strictly forbidden.

Navigation the reefs on Bonaire is very simple and these are not need.
Regards,

Sabine Engel
on behalf of
Bonaire National Marine Park Manager

STINAPA Bonaire
P.O. Box 368
Dutch Caribbean
Phone: (599) 717 8444 Fax: (599) 717 7318
E-mail: marinepark@stinapa.org
www.stinapa.org

I guess if I have any problem with my environmentally harmless, retrievable marker; I will just have to revert to "modifying" the largest sponge or other feature in view to make it more recognizable.

I found for the sites without moorings it was very easy to navigate... i would not use 1 but 3 unique structures in the area, or a pattern of unique structures etc... e.g: a big sponge but it has two rocks next to it. Or soft coral between 2 coral rubble etc. I also check the depth at where i find my unique structures

from my experience there is enough uniqueness for easy navigation, additionally based on other navigation cues such as time underwater and swimming speed you really should be able to end your dive relatively close to your start point, it's also so calm out there going to the surface after your safety stop if you are unsure is doable, find an on-shore reference and take a compass heading and descend and swim in...

If you can't shoot a heading and dive the dive and then return to the EXACT spot you climbed into the water.... YOU NEED TO RE-LEARN NAVIGATION !!!! No markers are needed... You can return to the same spot from any point in the dive... If you can't... YOU NEED TO RE-LEARN NAVIGATION !!!

Jim....

If you can't shoot a heading and dive the dive and then return to the EXACT spot you climbed into the water.... YOU NEED TO RE-LEARN NAVIGATION !!!! No markers are needed... You can return to the same spot from any point in the dive... If you can't... YOU NEED TO RE-LEARN NAVIGATION !!!

Jim....

Current can make that a little trickier (time down vs. time back). Some of us aren't perfect. I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to mark lionfish with survey ribbon and a cork though.

Now that you guys got me going - the number of badly tagged (damaged) turtles I've seen in Bonaire is reprehensible.

Current can make that a little trickier (time down vs. time back). Some of us aren't perfect. I still can't believe they thought it was a good idea to mark lionfish with survey ribbon and a cork though.

Now that you guys got me going - the number of badly tagged (damaged) turtles I've seen in Bonaire is reprehensible.

In Aviation we call this wind drift correction ...:wink: Hope you can find the runway...:shocked2::idk:

Jim...

I guess if I have any problem with my environmentally harmless, retrievable marker; I will just have to revert to "modifying" the largest sponge or other feature in view to make it more recognizable.
Well AWAP I just happen to be perusing this thread, and will tell you unequivocally and categorically, that if you do this you are in violation of the marine park rules and will be persona non grata on the island and with anyone I know in the local dive community. Rest assured, if I personally saw you do it, I'd report you to STINAPA. And as a sidenote, if you really have to rely on artificial markers to figure out where you are and where to exit, I would definitely suggest you restrict your diving and ask one of the local instructors to accompany you or alternatively take a course in u/w navigation and get a bit more experience under your belt. I would also suggest that you may prefer diving in Jamaica as opposed to Bonaire.

Jim....

Kind of have to agree.

The shore dives of Bonaire are one of the easiest places to employ your underwater navigation skills if you've mastered them or to practice them if you're a novice or need improvement in a very forgiving environment.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2015 at 04:41 PM ----------

Well AWAP I just happen to be perusing this thread, and will tell you unequivocally and categorically, that if you do this you are in violation of the marine park rules and will be persona non grata on the island and with anyone I know in the local dive community. Rest assured, if I personally saw you do it, I'd report you to STINAPA. And as a sidenote, if you really have to rely on artificial markers to figure out where you are and where to exit, I would definitely suggest you restrict your diving and ask one of the local instructors to accompany you or alternatively take a course in u/w navigation and get a bit more experience under your belt. I would also suggest that you may prefer diving in Jamaica as opposed to Bonaire.
Really? He is kidding

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom