Moray In Distress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REII:
That's pretty sad. I have seen Barracudas and large Grouper and Jewfish with hooks in them.

I wish there were some standard in the hook's properties that would allow it to rust away without harming the fish. Think about how many fish, Eels and probably Turtles that get hooked and break the fishermen's line off leaving them with a hook in them.

TOM

I found the catfish article for you:

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?article_id=39462105017

It's pretty sad to think of how many critters are lost to hooks and mono. line. What's interesting is the perspective we have a divers vs. fishermen who never see the devastation they cause under the waves.

X

I saw the same thing on the Benwood in May. A Green about 6-7 ft with a hook down in the wreck with a steel leader and lots of mono. It was recent as well. This was on a night dive and the guys I was diving with debated about trying to remove it but it was too tangled in the crack in the decking and still had alot of life left in it. With no tools it most likely would have ended up with someone getting hurt. I have a pic of it but I realy don't like to even look at it now.

CompuDude:
For fishing they make a tool called a hook disgorger. It allows you to slide a rod down a line and push in to release the hook, and catches the hook to help avoid damaging the fish any more than necessary, especially in catch and release situations. I dunno if they make one big enough to get down a Moray's throat, as opposed to your friendly neighborhood bass, but it may bear looking into, perhaps in conjustion with your tickle stick? You'd need to get a hold of the line first, in any event.

psfishing_1916_3384887

Kalani, I've been fishing ever since I can remember and have never seen one of those, what a great invention!!

Billy

There are all sorts of tools to get hooks out of fishes mouths. I've been fishing as long as I can remember and with pikes you just need to use some sort of hook-out if you don't like ripping your fingers. That won't save that poor moray and I don't have any with me when I'm diving. Well I dive on vacations only anyway. With bigger fish it's common to use hooks that will dissolve in salt water but that is propably not the case with this poor eel. Unfortunate but quite common :(

I got a response from the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute. Unfortunately there is nothing they can do for the Eel, but she did provide some information. I generally do NOT post the content of Email from people, but in this case I'm making an exception as there is nothing there that is confidential.

Bob, if you are interested in having your photo's posted on their website, PM me.

"Mr. Frank,

Thank you for contacting our agency. I received your online contact regarding the green moray. I have taken a look at the pictures on the website. It is hard to distinguish if he is hooked or caught in the line, or if he swallowed a hooked fish on a long line. If he is hooked somewhere on the outside of his body hopefully the hook will eventually rust out. Besides manually going in and removing the line this would be a tuff one. Unfortunately in this instance we have a rescue team for marine mammals and turtles but not other marine species. Unless there is a local dive organization or company that would be interested in assisting, I would guess that few people would be willing to take the risk associated with handling a moray eel. In addition it is probably better to let nature take its course and not cause any more stress to the animal then what it is already experiencing. With any luck the monofilament will break down or the hook will rust out. Even better yet if there is a fish on the other end it will be digested and hook and all will pass through the morays system.

I apologize for not being better able to assist you or the moray in this instance. Unfortunately monofilament left in the environment can often prove detrimental to all types of marine life as this is just one example. We do have some information on our website concerning our Monofilament Recovery and Recycling program (MRRP). Please visit our website at, http://myfwc.com/mrrp/index.asp. We also have a photo gallery on this site involving various types of animals (birds, dolphins, manatees,turtles) that are entangled in or have ingested monofilament (http://myfwc.com/mrrp/photogallery/Photographs.htm) in an attempt to illustrate the negative affects that leaving line in the water can have on wildlife. If these are your photos would you be interested in having them posted on in our MRRP photo gallery? We would be happy to do so if you are willing, and will give credit. To further educate the public about the need to recycle their monofilament, please let me know if you would be interested in having this photo posted on our website. Thank you again for your interest and concern, sorry to be unable to help. Please feel free to get back in contact with me if I can be of additional assistance.

Thank you,"

RonFrank:
Hi got a response from the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute. Unfortunately there is nothing they can do for the Eel, but she did provide some information. I generally do NOT post the content of Email from people, but in this case I'm making an exception as there is nothing there that is confidential.

Bob, if you are interested in having your photo's posted on their website, PM me.

"Mr. Frank,

Thank you for contacting our agency. I received your online contact regarding the green moray. I have taken a look at the pictures on the website. It is hard to distinguish if he is hooked or caught in the line, or if he swallowed a hooked fish on a long line. If he is hooked somewhere on the outside of his body hopefully the hook will eventually rust out. Besides manually going in and removing the line this would be a tuff one. Unfortunately in this instance we have a rescue team for marine mammals and turtles but not other marine species. Unless there is a local dive organization or company that would be interested in assisting, I would guess that few people would be willing to take the risk associated with handling a moray eel. In addition it is probably better to let nature take its course and not cause any more stress to the animal then what it is already experiencing. With any luck the monofilament will break down or the hook will rust out. Even better yet if there is a fish on the other end it will be digested and hook and all will pass through the morays system.

I apologize for not being better able to assist you or the moray in this instance. Unfortunately monofilament left in the environment can often prove detrimental to all types of marine life as this is just one example. We do have some information on our website concerning our Monofilament Recovery and Recycling program (MRRP). Please visit our website at, http://myfwc.com/mrrp/index.asp. We also have a photo gallery on this site involving various types of animals (birds, dolphins, manatees,turtles) that are entangled in or have ingested monofilament (http://myfwc.com/mrrp/photogallery/Photographs.htm) in an attempt to illustrate the negative affects that leaving line in the water can have on wildlife. If these are your photos would you be interested in having them posted on in our MRRP photo gallery? We would be happy to do so if you are willing, and will give credit. To further educate the public about the need to recycle their monofilament, please let me know if you would be interested in having this photo posted on our website. Thank you again for your interest and concern, sorry to be unable to help. Please feel free to get back in contact with me if I can be of additional assistance.

Thank you,"

Cheers for giving it a shot!

x

Ron: You will get a PM from me authorizing use of the photos. Thanks for the effort above and beyond.

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom