More Bad News from United Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that this practice is just going to encourage more folks to carry more weight with them on the plane. Like the huge carry-on bags that folks were carrying on prior to all this, weren't big enough! One of these days, someone is going to get hurt when the turbulence causes one or more of the overhead compartments to pop open and one of those huge bags bounces out and falls on someone's head!:shakehead:

Lisa ....Thats what I have been saying for a couple of years now. Some of the bags that roll on the planes now are ridiclous. And it's only gonna get worse now the $$$$ are lighing up for checked bags

Just remember to wear your wetsuit, bcd, and fins onto the plane so you don't have to pack them in a bag and you'll be fine.

I never thought I would actually be happy that I am stuck flying Delta and Northwest.

Dive Safe. Travel Light. :)

Back in the 70s when I was into freediving just as much as scuba and I had a job that took me all over the world, I took a lot of flights wearing my weight belt.
Then they started bringing in those pesky metal detectors....

As if these baggage issues aren't bad enough, I now read that some of the big carriers are going to start charging about 2 bucks for that little cup of Coke that we have been getting (and no word yet on whether they will let us have the whole can:shakehead:). What's next? Renting the flip down table in front of you? Pay toilets? "Would you care to purchase the jetway deplaning option, Sir? Or would you rather just slide down the rope which is provided free?" ARRGH! This has got to come to a head sooner or later, but with the price of jet fuel just going higher and higher, I don't see any end in sight yet...:11:

As if these baggage issues aren't bad enough, I now read that some of the big carriers are going to start charging about 2 bucks for that little cup of Coke that we have been getting (and no word yet on whether they will let us have the whole can:shakehead:). What's next? Renting the flip down table in front of you? Pay toilets? "Would you care to purchase the jetway deplaning option, Sir? Or would you rather just slide down the rope which is provided free?" ARRGH! This has got to come to a head sooner or later, but with the price of jet fuel just going higher and higher, I don't see any end in sight yet...:11:

Not until we as customers revolt! I'd much rather see a fare increase than being nickled and dimed for everything!

It hit me as I was on the "cheap basturd" thread. We as customers need to research the companies that are providing the level of service we'd like to see with the price we're willing to pay for them. Our dollars are votes in a free market economy and we need to not vote for the crappy kind of service that has been emerging in the airline industry!

Not until we as customers revolt! I'd much rather see a fare increase than being nickled and dimed for everything!

Fare increase would have to be much higher than the fee they are charging for luggage and these other services. Why? Because a fee for luggage/extra luggage has a double-bonus effect for the airline - a few extra dollars is the first part. The bigger part is the decrease in baggage means fewer employees too!

Fare increase would have to be much higher than the fee they are charging for luggage and these other services. Why? Because a fee for luggage/extra luggage has a double-bonus effect for the airline - a few extra dollars is the first part. The bigger part is the decrease in baggage means fewer employees too!

And like I said in my earlier post, what they are going to wind up with is an accident from falling luggage. It was already waiting to happen. They were aready pushing it before all this bull about charging for your bags. It's only going to get worse!

Even if it is not from a bag falling from turbulence, what about when folks are trying to stuff them in the bins. Someone is going to lose control of one of those things, drop it and it is going to hurt someone bad! If happens to be me, not that I want it to, the airline is going to lose its shirt (and pants too for that matter)!:no

True, luggage restrictions and extra charges make the consumer take less baggage. Gawd, I used to check 4 bags for a 300 mile flight to visit my GF, taking bushels of fresh garden veggies, etc. Give us a maximum and we'll work to stay within it - which is more reasonable. We want the airlines to offer us the flights, but they do have to show enough profits to shareowners to operate.

I suspect they'll save more on fuel than they will on employees with additional luggage restrictions and charges.

I just discovered a Scuba gear break in Continental's ticket contract. How do you read this? one free bag checked, "Maximum 50 lbs (23 kg) and 62 linear inches," then "Customers who travel with checked baggage in excess of the baggage allowance will be charged $100.00 per piece." But on a different page, same site...
NOTICE: $25 Fee for Second Checked Bag

Continental has implemented a $25 fee for customers checking a second bag when traveling on Economy fare tickets purchased on or after April 5, 2008 for travel within the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

The $25 fee also applies when traveling on Economy fare tickets purchased on or after May 8, 2008 between Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America* (excluding Brazil and the Dominican Republic) and the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.
Then on a different page same site..
Scuba Equipment

Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

If applicable, the second bag fee ($25) applies to dive bags.
And not to be missed!!! Another plug for Trip or other insurance...
Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.
And like I said in my earlier post, what they are going to wind up with is an accident from falling luggage. It was already waiting to happen. They were aready pushing it before all this bull about charging for your bags. It's only going to get worse!

Even if it is not from a bag falling from turbulence, what about when folks are trying to stuff them in the bins. Someone is going to lose control of one of those things, drop it and it is going to hurt someone bad! If happens to be me, not that I want it to, the airline is going to lose its shirt (and pants too for that matter)!:no
I know, Continental still allows 40# roll-ons, and doesn't check that. I do watch people around me to offer help when they don't seem capable of hoisting their carry-ons up safely. When checked bag rules were more liberal, I was not quick to offer help - but I am now.

I know, Continental still allows 40# roll-ons, and doesn't check that. I do watch people around me to offer help when they don't seem capable of hoisting their carry-ons up safely. When checked bag rules were more liberal, I was not quick to offer help - but I am now.

I happen to like Continental. They do offer pretty good service. Last flight I did with them even had meal service. It was a ten hour flight though from Honolulu to Newark. Word to the wise, request the diabetic meal. Then you actually get a real, healthful meal, not just a bunch of sugar laden snacks and nasty sandwich as seems to be par for the course in the industry if they do offer a meal.

However, the 40# carry-on thing has got to go. 40# hitting someone in the head is going to do some lasting damage! Possibly worse, if it is a child that gets hit!

I happen to like Continental. They do offer pretty good service.

Me too. And as a Platinum Elite member I get to check two 75lb bags! :crafty:

What I want to know is when are they going to start charging extra for overweight PEOPLE!

On a recent flight to Bonaire I sat next to a guy that easily weighed 350lbs. Assuming we were both limited to the same checked bags limits - presumably due to weight restrictions - this guy was still able to bring almost 200lbs more "stuff" on board than I was. (I could have brought my wife and two kids and STILL not had as much weight as this guy!)

Hell, he should have at least paid for 1/3 of my ticket, since he took up almost 1/3 of my seat in addition to his!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom