More Bad News from United Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I just had a long talk with Continental, and the Res agent explained that it's $25 for second bag, $100 for third - each way. That is not unreasonable, but we need this in writing to prevent confusion - so she transferred me to Continental.com desk, who said the same thing. I requested that she show me, on site, not tell me - and she referred me to the Latest News and Offers area under the changing ad - New checked bag policy: link
$25 Fee for Second Checked Bag

Continental has implemented a $25 fee for customers checking a second bag when traveling on Economy fare tickets purchased on or after April 5, 2008 for travel within the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

The $25 fee also applies when traveling on Economy fare tickets purchased on or after May 8, 2008 between Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America* (excluding Brazil and the Dominican Republic) and the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.

Certain customers are exempt from paying the new fee and will be allowed to check second bags free of charge (bags must meet weight and size restrictions). These customers include:

* OnePass Elite members
* SkyTeam Elite and Elite Plus members
* Any customer traveling on a ticket purchased in Y class of service
* Continental Airlines Presidential Plus credit card holders (?! *)
* Active military personnel traveling on orders
* Any customer traveling to/from Brazil or the Dominican Republic

Customers traveling with the above exempt customers are also exempt as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations including 10 or more customers.

All customers may continue to check one bag free of charge. Additionally, there is no charge for car seats, strollers and wheelchairs.

To learn more, see our list of FAQs below.

(and)

Does the new policy apply to international travel?

The new baggage policy applies to flights within the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada and for flights between the 50 U.S., Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada and Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America (excluding Brazil and the Dominican Republic).

An itinerary such as Austin to Houston and connecting to London, or Beijing to New York/Newark and connecting to Mexico City will not be subject to the new fee.
So there you have it: $25 for second bag, not charged for International travel beyond Western Hemisphere.

* $375 fee but includes Club Room membership and more benies. Continental Airlines - Continental Airlines Presidential Plus World MasterCard - FAQ Anyone who travels Cont 4 times a year should get it, save $200 on second bag charges!

I suggested that her web pages were not in agreement and should be updated. She said it was too new. A month...?:crafty:

What I want to know is when are they going to start charging extra for overweight PEOPLE!

On a recent flight to Bonaire I sat next to a guy that easily weighed 350lbs. Assuming we were both limited to the same checked bags limits - presumably due to weight restrictions - this guy was still able to bring almost 200lbs more "stuff" on board than I was. (I could have brought my wife and two kids and STILL not had as much weight as this guy!)

Hell, he should have at least paid for 1/3 of my ticket, since he took up almost 1/3 of my seat in addition to his!

They tried that. It didn't go over well in court. I'd be pissed too. In fact, I'd complain so much that they'd better move me to some place where I got use of the full seat I paid for or I received some sort of CASH discount.

I did have one time where I was seated next to a 350 lb woman with a screaming two year old on her lap on a flight from San Fran to Honolulu. Needless to say, they moved me to another seat. Unfortunately, it was still a coach seat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom