More Bad News from United Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They also know if they charge the typical guest for his golf bag on vacation, he is less likely to fly with them on business. You see, the highly coveted business travelers also are known to travel with golf bags.

Why alienate your cash cows?

It's all in the numbers, no less so than how big business designs any other product.

So all I gotta do is throw my old golf clubs in the closet and use my golf bag to carry my dive gear? Unreal....thanks Doc :D I always said you was smart....

they don't want to save money- they want to take more in. (it's called, in geek-speak, enhanced revenue stream)

Also known as "yield management", Marriott uses the exact same computer program as does the airlines.

yes, but ... that same program may also tell them that if they can get 100 51 pound bags off of a plane, and only lose (say) 10 passengers, they may end up *spending* way less money hauling that crap across the country and end up making more $$$ overall.

Not to mention less claims for lost bags, employing less baggage handlers, less crowded baggage systems, being able to choose to carry more profitable commercial cargo instead of passenger bags. etc. etc. etc.

Profits aren't just increased by taking more in, but also by spending less.

......only to a blind person........If $200 per year is going to stop someone, they need to go to sheet mending as a hobby......

My view is hardly that narrow. When taken in agregate the commitment of time, energy, hassles of air travel,finance, and risk of the trip being a bust for travel or illness glitches compared to the diving that I can enjoy right here at home the comes a balance point.

For the price of a weeks vacation I can have a year of indugent fun here at home. Warm water is nice and the plethora of colorful fish are a treat but at the end of the day the vast majority of what I enjoy about diving can be as simple as making a dive on the way home from work.

Pete

I have Lifetime Elite with Delta, honored by my current main carrier Continental, but - not only do I feel for you guys, things also change - so I took an interest and did more reading on this, calling the airline about details. On United's site: "This policy is for travel exclusively within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada and applies to tickets purchased on or after February 4, 2008 for travel on or after May 5, 2008."

Before I forget, and Roatanman will like this: pony bottles are liable for $25 fees each way if the airline knows about them. TSA inspects bags and in particular tanks, but I don't think the airline has a right to look inside. I just wouldn't tell them.

Repeating some info, adding some...

Customers purchasing nonrefundable domestic economy tickets who do not have status in Mileage Plus or Star Alliance may check one bag for free and a second bag for a $25 service fee.

For 1K and Premier Executive Mileage Plus members and Star Alliance Gold members on any fare, the excess baggage fees will apply beginning with their 4th checked bag. For all other passengers, the excess baggage fees will apply beginning with their 3rd checked bag. Number of pieces in excess of standard allowance Excess fee: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th: $100.00 per piece; 5th excess piece or more$200.00 per piece

Oversized baggage: checked baggage that exceeds 62 linear inches/158 linear cm (length+width+height) will be charged $100.00 per piece.

Overweight baggage: weighing more than 50 pounds as overweight. checked baggage weighing more than 50 pounds/23 kg will be charged $100 per piece.

If a checked piece of baggage is oversized and overweight, the charges will be added together.

I've often advised others who felt confined to 2 - 50# bags to just pay the extra $25 each way on one bag under 70#, but $100 is a big jump on overweight - don't even think about a third or oversize bag...!

International doesn't seem to be changing...
(excluding travel to/from Brazil, El Salvador, The Philippines):

Economy Class: 2 bags, maximum 50 pounds/23kg each free allowance

For 51-69#: $50 - could not find that on the site so called the agent; not as bad as $100, but still twice the $25 I was thinking.

Fees for baggage more than 70 pounds/32kg or exceeding the maximum linear dimensions vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details.

There is a fee of $100.00 for each additional checked bag. Added charges apply if the piece is overweight or over size.

Just remember to wear your wetsuit, bcd, and fins onto the plane so you don't have to pack them in a bag and you'll be fine.

I never thought I would actually be happy that I am stuck flying Delta and Northwest.

Dive Safe. Travel Light. :)

Here in the Philippines you are allowed only one 44lb bag per person but the extra charge for domestic is only 43 cents US per pound. International flights charge by distance but for example for us to go to Thailand it is $3.75 US per pound but sometimes they don't check too closely.

Cathay allows 2- 70lb bags per person to fly here from North America for non frequent fliers.

Here in the Philippines you are allowed only one 44lb bag per person but the extra charge for domestic is only 43 cents US per pound. .

doesn't PAL give discounts for the "Flying Sportsman"? I had 2 bags (one was 52 lbs) but the guy asked what it was and when I told him dive gear, he said it was no charge.

I kind of like the golf bag idea. I can put a lot of clothing into a golf bag and save my suitcase for my dive gear.

As for shipping
1)In January I sent 55 pounds of dive gear by FedEx Ground from CT to CA for $48 each way. As an over weight bag or extra bag it would now be $50-$100 each way. You do the math.
2) On the same trip I had a back up reg with air integrated computer and 10 watt Green Force HID light in one of my bags which was checked, total value of the gear was about $2,800. That bag is still missing and DELTA is taking 12-14 weeks to figure out what they will pay. But they do say that they do not cover computers and eletronics. So I have a feeling that they will not cover the $1,200 light and $900 computer and will want to give me a depreaciated value on the reg.
3) Insurance on FedEx pacakages is easy and cheep.
4) I sent the FedEx box of gear off 5 days before my flight and knew that it got there the days before I flew as I can track it by computer. DELTS says they don't know where my bag went missing as they can't track bags once they are in the system.

So, tell me - How do you think I will get all my gear to where I am going next time?

Back
Top Bottom