More of looking for diveshop feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about it and decided to just end the speculation and email Cristina so she can read the post. I will post her reply if she does not respond here herself.

We're heading to Cozumel later this summer and the dive shop we've booked with has told us our reservation may be transferred to Diving with Christina. I've heard some really bizarre things about that operation (for example, that when you surface from a dive you're not allowed to speak until you're back on the boat) and I'm wondering if I need to look elsewhere.

My question is this. If the OP had reservations with dive shop "A" why is dive shop "A" transfering the reservations to Dive with Christna? If "A" can not honor their reservations I would like to choose who I dive with not them. This is not a knock against Dive with Christna, but I believe I should have the choice of who I dive with.

I have about 250 dives with Cristina in the last 10 years. I'd say you will be lucky if your reservation gets transfered to her.

2 or 3 times a little storm blew over while we were down and it was probably better to keep your reg in on the surface. But 247 times or so we talked all we wanted.

Everybody has thier own preferences, but when we go somewhere other than Coz, we always hope to find somebody like Cristina.

Tom

One can hear anything, so I must wonder about possible truths to "I've heard some really bizarre things about that operation (for example, that when you surface from a dive you're not allowed to speak until you're back on the boat)"
May not be true at all.

May be misunderstood in passing.

May be misunderstood in translation, etc...?​
If instead they encourage you to keep the reg in your mouth until back on the boat for safety reasons, I agree. I know that many don't but a few have drowned that way there. I do.
My question is this. If the OP had reservations with dive shop "A" why is dive shop "A" transfering the reservations to Dive with Christna? If "A" can not honor their reservations I would like to choose who I dive with not them. This is not a knock against Dive with Christna, but I believe I should have the choice of who I dive with.
Got to wonder which Op said that, what was actually said, and why? If the Op sees a possibility of not being able to fulfill the expected dives, perhaps they are just trying their best to accommodate the diver rather than just saying sorry you can't go after traveling down here.
I have about 250 dives with Cristina in the last 10 years. I'd say you will be lucky if your reservation gets transfered to her.

2 or 3 times a little storm blew over while we were down and it was probably better to keep your reg in on the surface. But 247 times or so we talked all we wanted.

Everybody has thier own preferences, but when we go somewhere other than Coz, we always hope to find somebody like Cristina.

Tom
You're not the only fan. A search of the Coz forum for Cristina doesn't show a lot of hits, not a well known operator perhaps, but all I see is good.

Last edited:
Seems like it wouldn’t be true. I don’t think I would have too well of a reaction if that rule was thrown at me. Granted swimming back from the site isn’t a great idea either so I guess I would have to temper my response.

Bear in mind that many of the DMs think is Spanish local terminology included, then try to state their ideas in English, then by the time that heard, sometime later typed, and later retyped - I'm thinking the possibilities are more like "it's a good idea to keep the reg in your mouth for safety's sake until boarded" - maybe.

The DM might also be more exact with "you three guys are nicely weighted and competent, but you three are over weighted, and you two are newer at this - so don't talk even if the other guy talks to you." I think I'd request the general "it's a good idea to keep the reg in your mouth for safety's sake until boarded."

Some people choke on saltwater and just swim out of it; some don't. I keep my reg in my mouth unless the sea is extremely calm...

OK here is the email response I received from Cristina at Dive with Cristina :

Hello Paul
Thanks for sending this comment to me. I really appreciate your concern about this comment but when weather conditions are bad and divers surface they do not pay attention to the boats and sometimes they make it really hard and dangerous to come on board.
I guess the comment was due a an unhappy diver that did not understand the responsibility we have for divers safety. We give divers the freedom to use or not snorkels and our NENA boat is big and has one engine only which is hard to pick up divers when conditions are rough due to heavy winds and currents. Some time they forget to put air on their BCD and as soon as they surface they started to make comments of the dive without paying attention to the boat coming to pick them up.
we have been in the island teaching divers for 25 years and never had an accident due to our concern about boat procedures and divers responsibilities. Some time we have divers that do not have experienced and do not appreciate our work.
We hope we can have the pleasure to have you on board any time so you can meet us and have your own comments about our private dive service. Thanks a lot and have a great summer season.

CRISTINA ROMAN & LUIS AGUILAR
Scuba Diving in Cozumel with Cristina
cristinaroman@prodigy.net.mx
cristina@divewithcristina.com
928-202-4232 USA OFFICE VONAGE PHONE
01152-987-872-6099 COZUMEL OFFICE CALLING FROM USA
872-6099 OFFICE IN COZUMEL
044-987-564-1372 CELLULAR ONLY IN COZUMEL
visit our reviews at trip advisor and write one for us.
Write a review - TripAdvisor

Ok thanks Paula. Always good to ask the source.

And you do have every right to choose your own operator.

Have a good trip...

Back
Top Bottom