More to it than fashion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K.I.S.S.[keep it simple stupid]If all you have is a console,dive it.If your caving with it youll switch to a single spg after a while.More compact and streamlined would be my best answer.Also a consoles guages are enclosed in a boot.I dont dive boots or hose protectors.I like to be sure all fittings are snug fairly often.A hose protector also could hide a crack in the hose.Before someone jives in,who just bought new hose protectors their proud of to say,just slide em back to inspect the hose I say,I dont want too.Again if all you have is a console for cave diving use it.

It's all fashion man. I've been blessed, and in my short career cave diving have been able to see through all of it, taking cue's from some of the nations top spear fisherman.

Here's a few tips-

#1- Coil the long hose around your neck. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to wrap it around your chest, essentially holding you hostage!
#2- Split fins........Cave divers run a line anways, right? Why not wear splits and get FURTHER (we're all explorers, right?) into the cave, you can follow the line out when you silt the place.
#3- Mount the lights on your head. This allows your hands to be free for paddling, once again getting you further into the cave!
#4- No streamlined hose routing. This allows multiple places for your buddy to hold onto you in a rescue.....safety first!

Photo example of a highly skilled diver who has seen through the "traditional" bs and created a refined style of his own
LR-IMGP8021.jpg

Nice settup there.Looks like he's more worried about seagull poop than gear configuration.He spent some money thats for sure.

Faber Steels
Trans Pac
Predator vision headlamp
ScubaPro Mk17 regs
Cochran Computer
Cochran Backup Computer
DUI Neoprene Drysuit

Yep, some SERIOUS bucks there...

As a recreational diver only (never gone down the tech side of things but looking to get into it shortly) I personally witnessed 2 cases of a suunto cobra failing during a dive. I know that most people don't trust "digital air", and to be quite honest, I agree with them. Analog gauges make me feel much more comfortable.

After all, it's still a computer, do you really trust that thing you are typing on right now not to break?

What I teach my students (OW to Trimx), is to keep it as streamlined and compact as possible, while maintaining safety and function.

Keeping a console clipped off makes it very difficult to carry stages + o2, and have access to your depth gauge and/or compass. Especially when a dive with a deco obligation comes into play. Hanging on the line in a 2+ knot current with one hand, while fumbling for your depth gauge is needless task loading. Having your depth gauge/computer/compass on your wrists enables you to check vital information (depth, direction ) while maintaining trim. Having your pressure gauge clipped off is rarely a problem, as gas plans and sac rates are discussed / planned for in advance, therefore negating the verification of the SPG every 5 minutes. Not to mention the small size of a 2" SPG which does not get in the way of stages etc...

Although I follow the NTEC / HOG diving equipment configurations, I am not against a diver using other means to rig their equipment, as long as it is safe.

FYI, my open water students start off with a Harness and wing, a bungied alternate reg around their neck, a 40" hose on their primary reg, a 2" spg clipped off to the L waist D-ring, and an ANALOG depth gauge on their wrist. If they buy a computer, it's put into gauge mode until they finish their class. I don't even carry "poodle jacket" BC's in my shop!

Safe Diving

Last edited:
Photo example of a highly skilled diver who has seen through the "traditional" bs and created a refined style of his own
LR-IMGP8021.jpg
With THAT setup I can clearly see how not using a console helps the streamlining :rofl3:

Mike....you're my hero. I wish all shops did that!

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom