Morehead City in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vel525

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey All,

I'm really itchin to get back in the water and want to avoid diving quarries if possible. I'm about a 6 hour drive from morehead city and am thinking about shooting down to Morhead City in April. My only concern is water temps :D
What are typical water temps in April? Thanks.

Victor

It's not uniform, and there isn't really 'typical'. In general, closer to shore my guess would be in the mid-50's to low 60's depending on when in April. There is generally warmer water offshore that will add as much as 10 degrees to the temp. The only real way to get a good guess of the temp where you will be diving is to jump off the boat :). If you're prepared for that range, however, you should be good.

Rich

I dove last April 29th on the Spar & Schurz & had 68 degrees on the bottom. But that was then & this is now. Should be close though.

The bottom temp right now is somewhere around 67 degrees. By the end of April, the bottom temps offshore (u-352, Spar, Schurz) should be around 70.

Inshore (Indra, Hutton) will likely be closer to 65 I would say.

Nema :D

I typically know the temps so feel free to shoot me a pm at any time!!

N!!:coffee:

I wouldn't be as worried about water temps as I would about getting blown out:D

As one of my favorite captains said he can find water close to 70 degrees years around. With that said I've been way offshore in may and had it in the low 60's at depth. The weather is the biggest thing all year though.....

thanks for the info. that's a little cold for me :D
i really need water above 75F....i know, i'm a wuss.

One good tool that I have found for planning what type of exposure suit I will be wearing is using the NOAA web site. They have water temps, air temps, wave conditions, etc. I've attached a link to the site. Click on the area of interest and spend a few minutes looking through the various info. It's a pretty neat site. NDBC - Southeast USA Recent Marine Data

Also, I will be in Morehead City this weekend. I will post a dive report on Saturday & Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom