Morehead dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Kate and I spent saturday playing in the warm 76 degree water off of Morehead City, NC. After being spurred on by our friend Sonny at the Virginia Aquarium where we are a part of the voluteer dive team, to go diving with him and the crew of Atlantic Beach Dive Servicesaboard thier 45 ft dive vessel, The Mutiny. It was our first (of many to come) dives out of the infamous wreck capitol. Which is set on the edge of the Graveyard of the Atlantic and offers dozens of accessable wrecks in 60' to 130' (recreational depth) in warm blue water.

First wreck was The Spar. A former USCG buoy tender sunk as an artificial reef. She is upright and fully intact, and is entering her third season as an underwater home for new marine life. Sea urchins and sharks abound on this wreck.

spar.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Second wreck of the day was on The Papaoose, A 412 ft. tanker pressed into military service during WWII, the Papoose was torpedoed and sunk on March 18, 1942 by the U-124. Today, it rests upside down in approx. 130 feet of water with relief upwards of 100 feet. This site is a favorite of sand tigers and Ind0-Pacific lionfish. Recent speculation has many divers wondering whether the “Papoose” is really the “Hutton” and vice versa.

papoose.jpg

medium.jpg

Infamous and invasive lionfish that was killed minutes later by Sonny.
medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

7 ft long, 5 ft wide southern stingray, just chillin.
medium.jpg

Big THANK YOU to Capt Amy, Capt Al, Capt Jim, Scott and Sandy for making our first of many trips down to Morehead, one we will always remember. You guys and gals are the best!

Hello, your pictures are great. I'm diving in that area the first week of August. What was the water temp and what type of wetsuit did you wear.

Thank you

C17_Diver

Hi C17 temps on the Spar were 76 on the surface and 72 on the wreck, The Papoose was 76 on the surface and 70 at the bottom. I am generally cold regardless of water temp so I wear a 7 mil almost year round. Alot of divers were in 5 mil though.

This is some information about the wrecks.
The Spar was sunk in June 2004. The wreck called the Papoose is actually the Hutton. The wreck called the Hutton is actually the Ario.

It was 2hrs out and back for us. The boat had nice 6-8 bench seats to sleep on in the air conditioned cabin if you got tired and an upper sun deck and covered back deck. So the ride was very nice and comfy.

Opps sorry......:dork2:

The Spar was about 40-50 ft and the papoose/hutton was 30-40 ft. There was prolly 1/2 knot current down to about 30 ft then hardly any at the bottom on both dives.

I just need to dive more inorder to get better at these dive reports.:D....Yeah thats the plan!:cool2:

Thanks, Randy, reading your post brings back many happy memories of my NC wrecks last month. It was my first but most definitely will not be my last to NC. The wrecks and the marine life in NC are impressive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom