morning departure time question...

morning 2 dive departure time... 8am or 10am

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a little tip as to why you don't see many departures later than 9am.

If operators want to offer afternoon dives, the morning departure time affects that. A 10am or later departure basically takes the boat(s) and crew out of commission for the entire day (unless you're diving close to town, doing short dives and doing a short surface interval). A 10am departure would limit bottom times and surface interval times if the boat and/or crew have an afternoon dive scheduled.

For example, our two-tank trips run 4 - 5 hours - longer if the divers do extra long dives and surface intervals. We don't believe in rushing through the dives or surface interval. Not to mention that the crew has an hour of work before and after each trip to fuel, load, set-up, clean, etc.

Well I guess I am in the minority here. When on vacation I wake up about an hour before sunrise, make a good cup of joe and head out for a morning swim or kayak to watch the sun rise. Then breakfast and off to the dive shop before 0700. 2 tank am dive (earlier the better), lunch with a cervaza or two and the afternoon siesta........
Not the minority; look at the stats on the poll.

My routine on Cozumel is to get up when the first gray light hits the curtains of my room (sometimes before) and take my book and my cup of coffee out to one of the hammocks the hotel has. Usually it's not light enough to read yet, so I lie there for a while watching the island come to life. After a while I go and roust my wife/buddy so we can gather our gear and make the 8AM boat.

Lather, rinse, repeat...

Is it May yet? :D

Back
Top Bottom