Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Tom. Things are a changing. It makes me sad. Those pictures of "progress" only show me more destruction of a beautiful natural area. Morissons WAS my favorite dive site, We will see where it lands after the "improvements". The news stories are depressing me. All the county commissioners are happy about their grant money and improvement. I wonder why?

Like many others have posted, I am glad to have been diving there in the past. Those beautiful memories are all we have left.

SeaYoda and I were there 2 years ago in October when they had their first onsight meeting at the Springs of the County Commisioners, county engineers, and evironmental folks. We weren't invited, we just happened to be there that day diving....

There wasn't any 'scuba representatin' at the meeting (other than us showing up) but were several local people that were big fishermen. One of the concerns the fishermen had was that all the swimmer and divers would park down at the waters edge and they couldn't get their boats/trailers backed in. or get them out. So a seperate boat ramp and parking area was the idea with that. That's great for the boaters, but also for swimmers/divers as it doesn't require boat launching/recovery to be done in the basin where people are. So much safer. This still doesn't mean someone won't bring their boat in there. ( * remember it's the local fishermen who vote in that county and most divers are not registered voters there, so our voice is hardly heard with the commissioners.)

As for the boardwalk, they were talking about that 2 years ago also. They told us that it would give divers better acess to the water. We mentioned that we didn't need it and asked for some gear tables instead. They looked at us strangely and went back to the subject of the boardwalk. In follow up meetings that SeaYoda attended the boardwalk was always included. So somewhere they got that in their mind and didn't want to change it. Oh well. Maybe it's part of the grant money they received specified it when they applied for it or maybe it's for ADA requirements. I'm sure the barge in the basin is for installing the pilings for that.

As for whatever happens in development, well... it happens. not much we can do to change it. Hopefully this will make a few things a little nicer and also make things a little safer in regards to boat traffic.

EDIT:

Reefhound. In reference to your comment about paving and runnoff, I completely understand. This will make us both feel better. According to this website Walton County, Florida Online, they are paving with a material that will reduce runnoff.

kchFLA has a copy of the Morrison Springs Land Management plan if anyone wants a copy of it. (note this was over a year ago and she's moved since, so she might not still have it). The lease of the land from the state of Florida required the management plan, but I can't seem to find it online easily.

I also called Walton County Commissioner Scott Brandon's office and talked to a nice lady there named Susan Burgess. She was pretty positive about the changes going on there. Here's a few things she told me:

• They've got $800k in grant money for the upgrades
  • They are installing new bathrooms and showers and a septic tank that will not allow runnoff to pollute the spring.
  • They will have the seperate boat ramp area to increase safety at the basin and also to keep boats, trucks and trailers from polluting the basin more and erosion issues from backing them in along the shoreline. the new boat ramp will be concrete.
  • They are building a new road and two bridges to a boat ramp area.
  • They are building a boardwalk through the cypress trees that will be ADA compliant. It will go down to the beach area and into the spring.
  • The parking area will be far back from the beach and won't allow vehicles near the beach.
  • A Education pavillion will be eventually built and hopefully some nature type trails.
  • construction will most likely take until summer to complete everything, but they spring will not be closed completely the entire time. There will be periods where it can be accessed during construction but also periods where they have to close it during construction for safety/liability reasons.
  • They will try to get some construction information up on the county website for when closures will be, but she doubts it will be a specific schedule.
  • She also suggested calling the county parks and recreation department to see if the park was closed or open (Phone 850-892-8703)
  • While the park might be closed on and off for some time, she also went over all the positive things that would come out of it... so in the long run, it might be better for us and they are trying to preserve things.

Commissioner Scott Brannon can be contacted at:
Tel: (850) 835-4860 or E-mail: brascott@co.walton.fl.us

Note: I don't speak for the county or any of the above people. This is just from notes I took while I talked to her. hope it's helpfull to us as divers.

mike

As for the boardwalk, they were talking about that 2 years ago also. They told us that it would give divers better acess to the water. We mentioned that we didn't need it and asked for some gear tables instead. They looked at us strangely and went back to the subject of the boardwalk.
The story goes that the legendary Governor Huey Long wanted to build a football stadium for LSU, but the legislature was hard set against it. They did not see the need for a football stadium when dormitories were much more important. For once, Huey Long didn't get his way, and it was decided that there would indeed be new dormitories and not a football stadium.

It was merely coincidence, then, that the two new dormitory buildings just happened to be placed parallel to each other, with a rather nice rectangular grassy area between them. The interesting architecture of the dormitories, with tops that resembled stadium seating... well, that was just to be distinctive.

If someone gets it into their head to build a boardwalk, but what we really need are gear tables, the proper response is not to argue against a boardwalk. The proper response is to be sure the boardwalk is of the correct shape.

There is alot of complaining here concerning these "improvements".

Some of the folks who are so viciously opposed to the improvements probably should get involved in local and state Government.

These kinds of "improvements" are not ever undertaken without numerous inquiries, meetings, committees, environmental impact studies and so on. Many of these meetings and impact studies are posted in local newspapers so citizens can attend the meetings, share their concerns and get involved in the process.

Having said that, instead of sitting around after the fact complaining about what is now in place, remember this and get involved next time prior to your "favorite" dive destination being ruined by "progress".

Flame suit on.

bvm, you might want to note that several active divers here DID get involved (or tried) in the process by attending meetings and offering advice and opinions as you suggested. The details of those meetings are in past threads. They were basically ignored.

I am very grateful to have been able to dive Morrison spring for the first time in November of 07 before these changes have been implemented. The site was unforgettable able and I better not forget it cuz it will never be the same.

Some of the folks who are so viciously opposed to the improvements probably should get involved in local and state Government.
Pretty strong condemnation from afar, there jethead. In fact, local divers went to the meetings... but the bottom line became, is, and will be forever, how much money can we suck from the public coffers and put into local pockets without going to jail?
If some semblance of propriety and responsility can be maintained in the process that's a bonus. If it's still a good place to dive when they get done it'll be an accident.
That's politics...
Rick

Pretty strong condemnation from afar, there jethead. In fact, local divers went to the meetings... but the bottom line became, is, and will be forever, how much money can we suck from the public coffers and put into local pockets without going to jail?
If some semblance of propriety and responsility can be maintained in the process that's a bonus. If it's still a good place to dive when they get done it'll be an accident.
That's politics...
Rick

Well, speaking of local politicians, money and responsibility, it appears the work for Morrison Springs was bid out in public bid process, but then wasn't awarded to the lowest bidder.

The lowest bidder has filed an informal complaint. If it gets worse, I'd expect construction delays. (which means delaying dive schedules for us...)

news story at: The Walton Sun

Oh well huh?

:popcorn:

Construction delays? It looks like it has already begun?

Pic. from 1965 (I'm not old eneough to remember these days)

Attachments

• morrison springs 1965.jpg
    morrison springs 1965.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 189
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom