Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having said that, instead of sitting around after the fact complaining about what is now in place, remember this and get involved next time prior to your "favorite" dive destination being ruined by "progress".
By the way, which project have you successfully guided towards divers' interests with your involvement? We here are frustrated, and welcome your success stories; we're anxious to hear how you do it so that maybe next time we can have a bit more success in steering the "bubba cartel" along a more suitable path.
Rick

Well it's being done like it or not. There is no sense in fussing now.

Just may be it will be a decent spot at the end of this still, but with a few extra tables.

Morrison is a relatively unknown and I can't see it becoming that busy even after the so called improvements.

Heck even if it is busy on the weekends we still have 5 other days to dive it.:)

Here is a picture we took last week.

morrison1.jpg

We stopped by in the motorhome to dive it in late November. Tannins and heavy flooding made vis impossible. Wall was up at that time, but trash cans & port a potties were moved. We returned on the way home in early January and noticed the wall had been removed and all of the sandy area groomed.

When we were there the first time, there were several car loads of students and individuals diving there who proclaimed loudly, " Now we're going to have to pay at Vortex Springs." before leaving. I'd be curious to see what they accomplish as far as construction is concerned over the next few weeks before we return to the area in February.

Thanks for all posting the pictures.

Morrison's unknown?

Go there on a summer weekend and you can walk across the basin without getting your feet wet!

My biggest issue is why they felt it necessary to clear out so many trees, and why blemish one of the most pristine basin views with an unnecessary wrap around boardwalk, especially one that goes over the boil!?

... why they felt it necessary to clear out so many trees, and why blemish one of the most pristine basin views with an unnecessary wrap around boardwalk, especially one that goes over the boil!?
The answer to both questions is the same. The answer is the transfer of $$$.
Or, as Uncle Ricky's law of public works states, "Never make plans simple when they can be made complex and wonderful."
Rick

Morrison's unknown?

Go there on a summer weekend and you can walk across the basin without getting your feet wet!

My biggest issue is why they felt it necessary to clear out so many trees, and why blemish one of the most pristine basin views with an unnecessary wrap around boardwalk, especially one that goes over the boil!?

Ok, I stand corrected.

I was told it was a relatively unknown, and when we were there it was dead.

Granted that may have been because it was blown out.

We became active and tried to help Harold Vickers at Cypress Spring. He took a pretty useless swampy boil and made it into a primo diving destination. The locals wouldn't leave him alone and were systematically bankrupting him. We partitioned the COE and the state folks but Harold was making money and they couldn't stand it. He sold out before he lost everything. It took me a six-pack of Zima and two hours of charm to find out how much he got for the property and all I can say is "Living well is the best revenge."

We also had divers attend the meetings at Morrison. The good ole boy network stepped in there too. What I would like to know is how someone got 800 grand to make improvements on a place that didn't need improving. The scent of pork is apparent when you cross I-10.

It's also funny to watch the folks who used Doc's hospitality to dive free at Vortex when they come rushing up to a closed gate. The desire to give something back has apparently waned.

I first visited Morrison in the mid 60s and despite the "erosion and detriment to water quality" the place ain't changed in fifty years until now. I guess they can go ahead with the boardwalk. The Choctawhatchee in one of her not so nice moments will take care of it.

• They've got $800k in grant money for the upgrades

Note: I don't speak for the county or any of the above people. This is just from notes I took while I talked to her. hope it's helpfull to us as divers.

mike

Well, in all of these "improvements", it would be nice if they would put the cave back the way it was and unplug it. :(

Back
Top Bottom