Most Japanese don't really like whale meat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy, yeah we really haven't scratched the surface. The idea was to give Dennis as much freedom as possible and so the decision was his. He could decide that and establish reasoning based upon whichever ontology he decides. I would like to see it demonstrated that we have rational thought here but emotional kneejerks seem to prevail. I am retiring from this thread now.

Nadmat, you missed the point with the cannibals. PM if you don't already know that.

But you didn't answer my questions on the last page. Please answer this, you said you are a fan of Kantianism. How does it relate to the animal world, as the underlying justification for every correct moral judgement is the "priceless dignity" of each HUMAN being?

I have yet to witness anyone successfully justifying taking a life of another intelligent living being with or without the big words on this board. If you want to kill - explain what gives you the right to do it.

The "I'm a Phd in Philosophy" approach without demonstrating some impressive intellectual capacity, a clear vision or ability to defend one's stand on each possible level doesn't prove anything other than a blatant waste of time and money spent on over-educating or better mis-educating of an individual.

Resorting to established doctrines to defend one's views often happens when one's position is otherwise undefendable. Even then, those doctrines tend to collapse, showing them for what they really are - only a thought theory made by another member of the human race, thus being susceptible to errors. Every philosophical doctrine has it's weak points. If any one of them wouldn't - then we'd at last have a final solution, an undisputable authority on everything. And we don't.

The right to kill is an action and thus a person performing such an act or supporting it should be able to successfully justify it. So, the right to kill anyone or anything should be successfully defendable either through a philosophical doctrine or through the simplest words yet it is repeatedly not happening.

For your "philosophical doctrine" approach there is a "reductio ad absurdum" counterapproach, the one weapon that has you unmasked and forced to defend your principles on basic levels... and as the name says it leaves your arguments reduced to absurdity. Killing whales is right! Yes. Sure... Nonsense.

I'll admit: it was fun writing this post. :D

I'm looking forward to reactions to this, but if you decide to use the "evasive broken record" tactics, do not expect an answer from me. Not worth my time.

This thread is off topic as it is, anyway.

Kim:
Only in the 'cultures' that think it's OK. There's not a lot of beef farms in India, and there's not a lot of pig farms in any Islamic country - or Israel. By the way - I take it from your comments that you don't eat fish....or at least only 'farmed' fish? Would it be more acceptable if the Japanese raised whales in captivity for slaughter?

Short answer "correct"

But beef and pigs that do get used for food in those countries and elsewhere do usually come from 'farm' animals.

I do eat fish, but usually not 'commercially harvested' fish. Bass and crappie caught by self or by friends fishing for sport, perhaps some self caught or farm raised catfish, snapper or other sw fish caught by spearfishing friends.

Yes it would be more acceptable to me, at least they would no longer be decimating(sp?) the wild populations. Would I think it was 'right'? No, but the bible and other philosophies have taught me to try not judging others without considering things from their viewpoint and a hard look at my own shortcomings. My personal belief is that whales are intelligent and social creatures and as such do not deserve to be slaughtered for food. But as noted, I have a pair of elephant boots and the elephant is also an intellegent and social creature, only excuse is that I was younger and less informed. Would I buy another pair today? Probably not, unless I had proof that elephant was harvested through legal management practices(ie. killing of rouge elephant attacking and destroying a village). But they do make great boots, my pair is 25 years old, resoled 3 times so far (ready for a 4th) and still look like new.

JustinW:
Andy, yeah we really haven't scratched the surface. The idea was to give Dennis as much freedom as possible and so the decision was his. He could decide that and establish reasoning based upon whichever ontology he decides. I would like to see it demonstrated that we have rational thought here but emotional kneejerks seem to prevail. I am retiring from this thread now.

Nadmat, you missed the point with the cannibals. PM if you don't already know that.

You had a point? I thought you were just posting to argue, and show how 'educated' you are:huh:
Other than this one, none of my replies were to your posts.

As I see it morals = a set of RULES made by the MAJORITY of the human race by witch we can live by. If the MAJORITY make the rules and the MAJORITY are against killing whales (something that effects all humans) then as the old saying go's, THE MAJORITY RULES. To go against this is equivalent to a minority thumbing there nose at the majority.

cdiver2:
As I see it morals = a set of RULES made by the MAJORITY of the human race by witch we can live by. If the MAJORITY make the rules and the MAJORITY are against killing whales (something that effects all humans) then as the old saying go's, THE MAJORITY RULES. To go against this is equivalent to a minority thumbing there nose at the majority.

So if Hitler had won WWII, it would be ok to exterminate entire cultures as the Nazi party would be the majority?

JustinW:
So if Hitler had won WWII, it would be ok to exterminate entire
cultures as the Nazi party would be the majority?

i'm dying to answer, but this will get us into a serious political discussion, which
is against ScubaBoard's Terms of Service

let's please stick to the topic of this thread, which is that the Japanese market
does not seem able to absorb all the whale meat being brought in by the
whaling fleet.

Then, considering the big PR problem this is causing them (even if you think it is fine to kill whales) and the fact there is no demand, maybe they should......uh....stop. I am a simple girl.

All this "a computer algorithm could calculate morality" is not clicking with me. "Arrested Intellectual" means to me that you have extinguished your instinct. It is not an insult, it is a phenomena occurring as we become over-domesticated and over-cerebral in our approaches. Hope I don't catch it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom