Motion sickness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The motions that are most likely to cause sea sickness in my experience is the a slow gently roll. A motor boat under way usually isn't so bad because you have a more jarring motion, once the anchor is down, get suited up and on the bottom away from the rolling motion of the boat ASAP. smaller boats tend to move with swells more, while bigger dampen it, your motion is farther from the axi of rotation and what motion there is will be very noticable. I have gotten seasick waiting for a missing buddy to show up so a boat is not necessary to get seasick. The good news is that you will develop sea legs and with time you will find it less of a problem.

don't puke in your reg... take it out of your mouth and manually purge it when you put it back in... (never had to do it, but that is what I was told to do...)

I feel bad for those that bag the dive and then have to sit on rolling boat and feeding the fishes while waiting for everyone else to finish there dives.

"(In my thirty hour passage from mainland Costa Rica to Cocos Island, I was cognitively exhausted performing the technique over an extended period, and just simply fell asleep naturally). . ."

This is motion sickness.

For me, scopolamine patches work well. In Canada they are usually found behind the counter at a pharmacy, but they are non-prescription. Apply them (behind the ear) 24 hours before your trip.

I didn't realize that was the case. Are you saying the the sea band product is only a placebo? I'm not a medical person but I associated with them with pressure points and that made them at least plausible.

What reference can you cite that they are solely of placebo value?

Pete
I start out pretty skeptical, because this is the mechanism you are relying on:

Targeting the wrist as a nausea point is a staple of Chinese acupuncture medicine. Stimulating that point on the wrist with a needle or the pressure of an elastic band is said to unblock the flow of universal chi energy.

If you believe in chi, then you don't need any double-blind studies and are probably not susceptible to their conclusions anyway.

That quote came from the description of this study:

Wristbands Ease Nausea with Cancer Treatment - News Room - University of Rochester Medical Center

Previous research has suggested that the placebo effect – essentially, an outcome related to your body that you expect to happen – might be why elastic wristbands reduce nausea. However, the findings of the latest study do not support that notion, even though researchers continue to believe in the mind’s powerful influence over symptoms.

Here's another study that supports the efficacy of sea-bands: Effect of acupressure... [J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2001 Jan-Feb] - PubMed - NCBI

Sea-Bands with acupressure buttons are a noninvasive, inexpensive, safe, and effective treatment for the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.

Here's the article I was relying on, which is older, but which I find more persuasive:

New Zealand Skeptics Online: View Article

Enter the Institute of Naval Medicine (INM), who tested Sea Bands against the drug hycosine, sometimes known as scopalomine. (At sea, this gives good control of symptoms for some hours). But the INM also tested against two placebos. One was a dummy drug (Vitamin C), and the other was a dummy band (the Sea band with the plastic button reversed so that it didn't press against the wrist. Eighteen male volunteers were exposed to a "cross coupled nauseogenic motion challenge." In other words, they were blindfolded and rotated in a chair while they performed head movements to commands from a loudspeaker above them.

This may sound pretty innocuous, but in fact it's a fairly severe test. It will bring on the first symptoms of vomiting within 15 to 20 minutes on average. Each subject was tested on the motion challenge on four separate occasions, with at least a week between each. The results? The hycosine had an effect. But Sea Bands? No better than the dummy remedies. In fact, it emerges that the US Naval Aerospace people had tested Sea Bands back in 1982. The results then? No benefit.

You can browse through Gray's Anatomy until your thumb is sore, without ever finding any connection between your wrist and being seasick. So why on earth did anyone think there was anything in the idea in the first place?

While I have not changed my mind, I would say that there's enough there to reasonably draw either conclusion. The fact that they are so innocuous removes most of the incentive to test their efficacy, which probably explains the dearth of relevant literature. The fact that they are so innocuous also removes most of the obstacles to trying them. If the $10 doesn't bother you, go for it.

---------- Post Merged at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:03 AM ----------

don't puke in your reg... take it out of your mouth and manually purge it when you put it back in... (never had to do it, but that is what I was told to do...)
Do puke in your regulator. The vomit passes through (though expelling it forcefully helps). I have tested this technique. There are many threads on the subject, and while there are plenty of people who agree with you, I think the majority recommend vomiting in the regulator.

Last edited:
Nah. Nothing mental about it. All physical In my line of work I had the pleasure of interviewing many many astronauts. Except for Yeager, every one of them at some time or another got some form of MS. The military has spent millions trying to figure out why. It's a human condition. Yawl is the worse. Look just deal with it. It does get easier with age. Watch what you eat no alcohol and keep our face in he wind and your eyes on the horizon!

I suffer from motion sickness about 50% of the time. I think with professionals like you interviewed, it's probably not mental because they are past that point, for the rest of us, I believe there is mental component. If I think about being sea sick or the last dive I was on where I got sea sick, I will start to feel a little nauseous, just sitting here at my desk. I also knew a navy guy who flew in the back of a p8 for most of his career. He said the same thing, sometimes he would think about the upcoming flight and start to worry about getting sick and he would actually get sick on the ground. Eventually he signed his page 13 and quit flying all together.

I puke through my reg all the time. I also disassemble and clean them after, but generally I don't find any pieces left in there, so the disassemble and clean is a little overkill.

If I'm sea sick I'm generally fine during the dive, but will puke instantly (literally instantly) when I feel the ocean swell around 5ft or so from the surface.

I have only been sick once, first deep sea fishing boat in the Atlantic, we were stupid enough to be at the back. It took me 5 hours before it hit me of exhaust and 5-6 ft swells. The boat was only about 40 ft long or so. I have not been back in anything that bad since or on a boat that small. I took meds the last time and never felt odd until I got off the meds and boat. I just took 2 basic generic dramma. 25mg version in the morning.

I discovered the cure for seasickness today. A 15L tank instead of a 10.4 L tank. More air = more time under water = less time at the surface and on the rocking boat.

For me, scopolamine patches work well. In Canada they are usually found behind the counter at a pharmacy, but they are non-prescription. Apply them (behind the ear) 24 hours before your trip.

This is the ONLY thing that provides 100% satisfaction for me.

This is the ONLY thing that provides 100% satisfaction for me.
Why complicate things with a milieu of potential medication side effects, especially symptoms that may mimic DCS???

If you believe and fear your illness to be that debilitating (as that experienced by post-surgical or Chemo/Radiation Therapy Patients?) --even as a passive passenger on a diveboat-- then you will certainly succumb to it, body & mind. Work through the discomfort, overcome & then transcend it.

Again, the visualization technique described in the posts above is actually a form of Self-Hypnosis to inure yourself from the induced nausea of sea sickness.

Why complicate things with a milieu of potential medication side effects, especially symptoms that may mimic DCS???

If you believe and fear your illness to be that debilitating (as that experienced by post-surgical or Chemo/Radiation Therapy Patients?) --even as a passive passenger on a diveboat-- then you will certainly succumb to it, body & mind. Work through the discomfort, overcome & then transcend it.

Again, the visualization technique described in the posts above is actually a form of Self-Hypnosis to inure yourself from the induced nausea of sea sickness.

Thank you and nothing personal but LOL. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom