Moustache Solutions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dakkon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
So I'm just getting into snorkeling and still doing lots of research... finally got some Jet fins for about $31 shipped off of ebay... next is my mask.

I've got some facial hair, but I keep it trimmed pretty short. I was told at my LDS that I was probably going to have to lose it, or use lots of Vasaline. Then I was reading about the Liquid Skin mask and it sounds like it's working pretty well with facial hair. Are there any other masks that will work well, or is there another way to get other masks to work?

I was really hoping to go with the Cressi Big-Eyes (it's about $27 new)

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CSBMB.html

but if spending another $60 is the only "good" way to keep my facial hair and not be constantly bothered... then I'll do it in a heartbeat. The only thing other than the price tag that I dislike is that they only come with clear skirt... but I could live with that.

Any other suggestions? Thanks a lot!

/dak

Shaving down a little under the nose allows many masks to make good contact. The difference in your appearance should be hardly noticed.

SeaYoda:
Shaving down a little under the nose allows many masks to make good contact. The difference in your appearance should be hardly noticed.
That's exactly what I do. Just shave the hair down a little away from your nose to give the mask a spot to seal.

So I should be fine with that big eyes mask then right? From the sounds of it, it appears to be a good mask to go with.

Here's an ugly picture that will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 140
Dakkon:
So I should be fine with that big eyes mask then right? From the sounds of it, it appears to be a good mask to go with.
Have you "fitted" one to your face yet? Moustache or no moustache, if the mask doesn't fit your face, it'll leak.

Dakkon:
Depends on what you're looking for. I use the Hydrooptix mask that looks like bug eyes and gives about 170 degrees of view. It costs $200 and has a 4.5 power (for nearsighted folks like me). It leaks a little but it's worth the view for me.

I do not use anything. I exhale through the mask all the time keeping a higher pressure in the mask to keep the water out. It has worked for years. I prefer a purge valve mask with the vent tubes to keep the bubbles to the side of the mask also.

Scott Riemer:
Have you "fitted" one to your face yet? Moustache or no moustache, if the mask doesn't fit your face, it'll leak.
Absolutely.

I have a stache that I trimmed down, butchered, and abused for a long time... Won't do it any more...

I went through a number of masks, from Ocean Master, to Big Eyes, to Mares-X, to Atomic subframes... on and on... The problem wasn't trimming, or Vaseline (which you shouldn't use, by the way -- it's not silicone friendly). The problem was/is fit.

Finally found the SeaVision Ultra... Fit's like the proverbial glove... It can still leak sometimes (but only from cracking up underwater, when my wife freaks from a friendly nurse shark sticking it's face in hers...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom