Moustache sometimes in the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graywolf

Reaction score
Sometimes my moustache will interfere with my mask seal. I trim it but it still gets in the way. I heard that Vaseline is not good to use as it attacks the silicone in the mask. What do you other bearded divers recommend?

I was able to find some silicone at my LDS that is the same consistency as vasaline-put a small dab on the upper lip and the mask seals great!

I tend to keep it thin and shave 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch from the top below my nose to give it something to seal on.

A buddy of mine has quite the bushy handlebar mustache, and he uses an ice diving neoprene mask over top to give a surface for the mask to seal on.

Silicon grease works for many. Other common alternatives are:
1. Trimming moustache. The choice "area" to trim varies by mask and diver.
2. Partial exhalation through nose. This'll clear a slowly leaking mask, and keep it clear if you do it continuously. Only downside is that it doesn't work if you stand on your head... I KNOW.

One of my teachers had this massive moustache that he refused to compromise on. He carries a container of silicon grease in his snorkel bag and gooped up every dive. It wasn't a pretty site on the surface, but it did the job.

archman:
One of my teachers had this massive moustache that he refused to compromise on. He carries a container of silicon grease in his snorkel bag and gooped up every dive. It wasn't a pretty site on the surface, but it did the job.
Artificial nose oysters. Yuck. :wink:

I use the continious exhilation method. Hasn't been a problem so far. I'm considering doing the trim soon though.

an old firefighter trick is use vasaline on the hair. it helps make a better seal. I've seen this work on SCBA so i guess it should work on SCUBA

graywolf:
Sometimes my moustache will interfere with my mask seal. I trim it but it still gets in the way. I heard that Vaseline is not good to use as it attacks the silicone in the mask. What do you other bearded divers recommend?

I just shave when I go on a dive trip. No bid deal. Within a couple of weeks after I get back the beard and moustache are back. For casual diving, the exhalation method keeps the water sufficiently at bay.

I used to do the 1/8" trim, but didn't like it, so I'm back to the very full 'stach and beard. The breath out thru the nose didn't work great for me; I found too much leaking. I now have a purge style mask, and all is great. Even if I do get a little leak, which is rare, breath out, no water, no leaks.

I use the Tusa Platina Hyperdry, where the purge valve is under the left eye, not at the bottom of the nose piece, so it gives a little more finger room to equalize. Only complaint is that the silicone is a little stiff; not as plyable as other masks I have, but, it's not a problem, even in the cold SoCal waters wearing thick gloves.

And, yes, this will probably start another war on the in & outs of purge vs. non-purge......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom