Moustache sometimes in the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just keep my mustache trimmed real short. I also exhale through my nose alot (like some of the other folks here) and that helps too.

:laghost:

hex92:
I just keep my mustache trimmed real short. I also exhale through my nose alot (like some of the other folks here) and that helps too.

:laghost:

...spit...ha ha...sounds funny but seems to work for me. After I put my mask on I put some spit on my finger and place it on my mustache hair. Takes just a few seconds and does not look as gross as the written description would appear. Trimming and vaseline did not work for me for whatever reason.

--Matt

As Jeff mentioned I also trim about 1/8" under the nose the morning I go diving. It grows back in a couple of days.

People at work now know when I've been diving over a weekend when I come in Monday with the little bit of lip showing under my nose. :)

Marc

rickyd:
...it's not a problem, even in the cold SoCal waters wearing thick gloves.

And, yes, this will probably start another war on the in & outs of purge vs. non-purge......

...cold SoCal waters?

Thanks for asking this question. I had all sorts of problems with my mask leaking in the pool (haven't made my O/W dives yet). My instructor kept telling me my mask was too tight. I knew it was tight but I thought that would stop the water from coming in. He pointed out it was probably my moustache. Thanks to everyone who posted for the advice. If one of these suggestions work, I'll post my experience.

Scott Riemer:
Thanks for asking this question. I had all sorts of problems with my mask leaking in the pool (haven't made my O/W dives yet). My instructor kept telling me my mask was too tight. I knew it was tight but I thought that would stop the water from coming in. He pointed out it was probably my moustache. Thanks to everyone who posted for the advice. If one of these suggestions work, I'll post my experience.

if your mask is to tight, it can cause it to leak along with other things. when you go down deeper it will cause a squeeze which can be very bad. i have taken my strap off several times when working with classes just to show them that you dont need to have your mask real tight for it to stay on. once you are down about 15' or so, the pressure will hold it on.

like others have already said, i trim my moustache right below my nose and i also use silicon grease and that works the best for me.

steve

Spectre:
I tend to keep it thin and shave 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch from the top below my nose to give it something to seal on.

A buddy of mine has quite the bushy handlebar mustache, and he uses an ice diving neoprene mask over top to give a surface for the mask to seal on.

I'll second that technique, it works great.

Silicone grease, with a little trim just below the nose. You'll love the grease for many applications. Its become a household item. I finally bought the wife her own. It seems to work wonders on those shoes that fit in the store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom