Move DPV fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
A multi-week beach closing requires many people to be hospitalized or one or two to die BEFORE they decide it's a public hazard.
Kinda like Chief Brody trying to convince the mayor to close the beach... only this isn't a white shark... it's a brown trout!

Well that is amazing to me... never heard anything about it on the news up here.

We do hear about Victoria BC pumping their poop directly into the Straight of Juan de Fuca though... that is their treatment plan and "the solution to pollution is dilution" is their motto.

I heard Breakwater in monterey was closed today due to a high bacteria count.I hear there were still divers diving there anyways.Kinda glad i didnt go today.Im hoping to be there next thurs/fri weather and conditions permitting.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
We do hear about Victoria BC pumping their poop directly into the Straight of Juan de Fuca though... that is their treatment plan and "the solution to pollution is dilution" is their motto.

Just like Juan de Puka, the non-native California rank species of FBT is in no danger of extinction, but its ever increasing presence definitely marks the inauguration of the finale of the native diver species <lol>.

I really do have a lot going for me for my OW dives.

I've had a hell of a lot of time in the pool training. I figure I've done at least 10 to 11 hours. I will get in at least 4 1/2 hours more before going north.

Diving dry will help keep me warm. The boat ride will likely be cold but I'll be warm in the water.

One-on-one instruction. Truely has been worth every penny. I've worked with a total of three instructors now. For two of them it's been educational for the instructor as well. I'll have the attention a new student should have for my OW dives. This should help alot with any anxiety I may have.

So far this has been an awesome experience.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I too originally got certified in at this cold time of year. But vis tends to be better this time of year, with generally lower surf and lower surge, more calm days means time for debris to settle down. January will be cold no doubt, but with all that practice you are getting in, come time to do the dives - your enthusiasm will keep you warm.

dotyj once bubbled...
[BThe boat ride will likely be cold but I'll be warm in the water.
[/B]
James... you will need a wind proof coat.... especially between dives... or you will get chilled. A wet (on the outside) drysuit will get very cold as water evaporates... a windproof coat or parka will really help as will a hat and some good gloves.

I second the hat thing.

Between dives with wet hair and wind blowing you can get cold very fast.

Hi UP:

I'll see what I can find for a wind proof coat. I like the coat I have now, but doubt it would work very well for very long.

I'v already considered buying gloves. I lost the last pair a few years ago. I'm sure they're stuffed in the garage someplace.

I aways were a hat, but it's only a baseball style hat. So I'll get something more appropriate.

I usually wear sneakers. My feet are pretty wimpy. I have some decent boots though that I can wear instead. I only wear these boots a couple of times a year usually.

Thanks for your insite and input.

James... you will need a wind proof coat.... especially between dives... or you will get chilled. A wet (on the outside) drysuit will get very cold as water evaporates... a windproof coat or parka will really help as will a hat and some good gloves.

dotyj once bubbled...
I aways were a hat, but it's only a baseball style hat. So I'll get something more appropriate.
Shane and I have polarfleece hats with flaps that cover the ears and back of the neck... cost $6 at Seattle Marine at Fishermen's Terminal. ERP has a nice head sock.

The idea of a wind/water proof coat is that you can wear it over the top of your drysuit during SI.... or at least over the top of your undergarment if you take the suit off. I usually leave my suit on during the SI... maybe pull the top part off... but we only do a 1 hour SI and I have a P-valve. :D

Okay, I've got you.

Rather than remove the dryduit between dives, use the wind/water proof coat to keep the chill off. Great idea.

I'll get a decent hat and gloves too.

Thanks.

Shane and I have polarfleece hats with flaps that cover the ears and back of the neck... cost $6 at Seattle Marine at Fishermen's Terminal. ERP has a nice head sock.

The idea of a wind/water proof coat is that you can wear it over the top of your drysuit during SI.... or at least over the top of your undergarment if you take the suit off. I usually leave my suit on during the SI... maybe pull the top part off... but we only do a 1 hour SI and I have a P-valve. :D

I have an Australian Oilskin coat that does a GREAT job of blocking the wind and the thing is virtually indestructible. It's ankle length and designed so you can sit on a horse, that "split bottom feature" could possibly come in handy for you.
I don't know what kind of dry suit you'll use but I've found I'm warmer if I inflate mine (it's a shell) a little during the surface interval (just enough to take the squeeze off).
Ber :bunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom