Moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get a POB for an address and a cell phone...National regestry is the prereq then all the state hurdles to get state licensed.

Hank49:
Go for it dude. I lived there for 10 years and kick myself in the *** for leaving quite often. But now I have bills to pay for a couple kids and well.....I'm stuck in Belize, which does kind of suck because there's no surf....at all. If you want to, you can make it anywhere when you're young and single. But the life style....I used to catch the Bus to Makapu'u to learn to body surf...than graduated to an old beat up VW and made it around to Sandy's....then met some guys who got me into board surfing and was off to Crouching Lion and Bowls, and Rainbows....aaahhhhh, the life.

That's all I am waiting for... lots of surfing, diving, and living :14:

Wildcard:
You can get a POB for an address and a cell phone...National regestry is the prereq then all the state hurdles to get state licensed.

hmm that is not a bad idea at all... And it will be cheaper than rent + vehicle...

I have two questions though for the Hawaiians...

One, in miles (across) how big is Oahu? Maui?

And two... do people really say Aloha all the time?:D

Across at which point? Either is no big deal, hour or two at the longest points. Big Isle on the other hand is a drive, even the short way.
Howzit? is the common greeting.

Wildcard,

I was reading a few posts on this board... Whats the scoop with the whole racism issue in hawaii? I saw you guys discussing the rampant use of meth... Is it truly that big of a problem compared to other cities in the US? How about the crime?... I live in Yonkers (right by the legendary Bronx) and nobody has ever broken into my car or my house or tried to rob me... how bad could it be over there?

Crime depends on where you are at. Some places worse than others. Downtown is better than most big cities. I grew up in Cleveland and the crime here is nothing compared to there. I have never had a problem here on the islands. Meth is a rampant problem here. Its even affected the military here badly. There is a movement here for a Hawaiian nation once again similar to what Native Americans have on the mainland. But as far as racism have never seen it here. From my experience people here are very friendly and the whole atmosphere is very laid back.
Check out the federal jobs site. Military is turning over allot of jobs over to the civilian sector. Pay and benies are decent. Office is right outside the maingate of Pearl Harbor Naval Station. If you are not picky there are jobs there.

I'm a Marine currently in IRR. The plan was to go reservist and ask for a unit change to Hawaii. The Military is definitely turning a lot of jobs to the civilian sector, and I was planning on looking at that too.

I've heard that this movement you speak of is quite more militant than that of native americans mainland and cops turn a blind eye on it. This is not a problem?

Have you spent much time in Hawaii? There is always potential tension between the Hawaiians and the haoles, but I have always found the locals very welcoming once they get to know you. They can be standoffish at first for sure, like people in many tourist destinations, especially places with a culture as unique as Hawaii's. It definitely depends on your attitude. Like all tourist destinations, the locals have a love/hate relationship with the tourism industry. Some places are worse than others in terms of tolerance of non-locals. And of course some places are like Disneyland.

If you haven't spent much time there, I'd definitely take an extended trip or two to make sure it's what you're after. Hawaii is a very unique place and the attitude is VERY different from the East Coast. They say Aloha a lot more often than New Yorkers do :wink:

I think if you spent a good amount of time there, you could satisfy yourself one way or another whether the local tensions would be tolerable for you.

Oh, and meth is to a large extent a rural scourge. So, yes, it may be much worse in Hawaii than in NYC. I don't know the scene in NYC, but here in Northern California (very rural), it's like a poison on the land. It's absolutely horrible stuff and it creates a seedy, crime-ridden scene unlike urban crime scenes. It's a real shame to see people waste away using meth.

Good luck finding what you are after! Aloha :D

Like most places, if you keep your head up and eyes open you can avoid most of the problems.

When I moved to Oregon from California I was told I wouldn't likely be accepted. Well I was and if anyone had problems because of where I was born I honestly didn't let me bother me.

When we move to Hawaii I'm certain some won't like us because we weren't born there. Those are the people that miss out and I honestly don't care about them. I'll make new friends easily enough. You will to. :)

Back
Top Bottom