Moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
There is always potential tension between the Hawaiians and the haoles, but I have always found the locals very welcoming once they get to know you. They can be standoffish at first for sure, like people in many tourist destinations, especially places with a culture as unique as Hawaii's. It definitely depends on your attitude. Like all tourist destinations, the locals have a love/hate relationship with the tourism industry. Some places are worse than others in terms of tolerance of non-locals. And of course some places are like Disneyland.

This pretty much sums it up without getting into too much detail. You will find some locals more welcoming than others.

The "local culture" is very different than most of the mainland. As said previously, much depends on your attitude and how you approach the differences.

Al mentioned to get the book, "So you want to live in Hawai'i". I've got it, I've read it three times. Some of it is disturbing and some of it is very promising.

If you are worried about racism or not being accepted in Hawai'i, try to learn more about the Hawai'ian culture. Read books, and go to the Bishop Museum in Honolulu.

I'll also be moving out to Oahu this summer with my family close behind. We have put away enough money for about a half a year without work. The prices don't scare me because I live in Japan. Gas is over $4 a gallon here and milk is closer to $7. The problem is getting a good job. Good luck to you.

Chris

Universal Diver:
, try to learn more about the Hawai'ian culture.
Chris

And Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Samoan, Tongan....among a few others.

Al Mialkovsky:
If you don't have jobs lined up I'd suggest doing a couple of things. First visit the island of your choice for extended stays. Don't stay at the resort condo, rent something in town in a real neighborhood. Don't show up with mainland debt.

A fun book to read is "So You Want To Move To Hawaii"

all good advice, I've have the book, she really lays it out for you without pulling any punches, don't know when the last update was done on it so some statistics may be off, but the general information is very good to know.

Did I mention I'm green all over? Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom