Mr and mrs new divers ow cert passed in sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, i am not trying to pressure her just reasure her. She really enjoyed it whilst we were there and only had an issue with a leaky mask on her last dive on the house reef. The only thing she was really bothered about was seeing sharks (i wish we had seen some so she would perhaps be a little more confident). Its just since being back and the news of the lost divers she has started worrying and thinking about the risks. I think once she gets a few more dives under her belt she will be fine. I think like most things experience builds confidence. I am very proud of her getting this far to be honest as we were diving with another guy whos wife wouldn't even attempt it in the pool.

It is NOT the job of the dive guide/ divemaster to keep you out of trouble. It is YOUR responsibility as a certified diver, to dive within your limits to minimise the risks associated with diving (ie, watch your air, control your buoyancy, call the dive if you or your buddy just isn't feeling it for any reason).

I agree, but isn't part of the point about having a guide/divemaster with local knowledge that they know the dive sites and conditions? If they know that they have novice divers surely they should plan accordingly (knowing what the conditions/currents at various sites might be like)?

I agree, but isn't part of the point about having a guide/divemaster with local knowledge that they know the dive sites and conditions? If they know that they have novice divers surely they should plan accordingly (knowing what the conditions/currents at various sites might be like)?

Thats our thoughts as well. I don't think i would dive with my wife as my buddy without having a guide/divemaster at our sides until we have a heck of a lot more experience, in fact we have discussed this frequently between us. We are going to our local baths tommorow with our local club just to keep our hand in

Congrats! I'm fortunate that my wife also loves to dive and the benefits are immense in terms of being able to dive with someone you know and trust. That said, our comfort levels were not always the same and it took time. Being a little nervous is probably heathy and certainly normal for a while. Patience and not pushing comfort levels too fast is smart on all levels. I would not give up, but be careful not to push things - this is even potentially unsafe. Best thing is to dive as regularly as you can to build and retain comfort. As said, you are certified and can take care of yourselves within your limits. Having a guide is just a comfort and not a rescue plan. Go slowly, but go dive.

It is NOT the job of the dive guide/ divemaster to keep you out of trouble. It is YOUR responsibility as a certified diver, to dive within your limits to minimise the risks associated with diving (ie, watch your air, control your buoyancy, call the dive if you or your buddy just isn't feeling it for any reason).
I agree with you in theory, but the way diving shops is run in sharm you WILL have atleast one guide with you on the dive and that guide is generally an instructor or being trained to become an instructor. Many of the shops dont hire any diving staff thats not certified as instructors due to the fact that for every foreign staff they have, they need to employ a certain number of locals. IIRC 7 locals to 1 foreigner.
A divemaster can only guide, while an instructor can both guide and train divers so you rather hire one person that can do two jobs than two persons who can only do one job.

Now all this rambling adds up to the fact that you WILL be in the water with a guide that is considered a pro, with the liabilities, insurances and responsibilities this entails and they WILL do their utmost to keep your ass safe and for all the "serious" dive ops down there that begins in the bus on the way to the jetty (or marina) where youll be given practical instructions with regards to the jetty, the boat and the departure procedures (which btw depend a lot on the mood of they for the police there).
It continues on the boat with nitrox analysing and logging and other safety-essential procedures and most importantly a thorough dive brief.
If you use your ears and follow the guides instructions all this IS designed keep you out of trouble and if you choose to ignore it, they will try to stop you and they WILL stop any divers they deem to be endangering themselves and/or fellow divers from diving with them!

Now of course, theres always some dive ops around that dont give a damn, but it shouldnt take long to figure out if youve ended up with one.

Congratulations! What a great place to get certified!

Buy a copy of Diver or Sport Diver (UK Padi magazine). Both will tell you a lot about where to dive, who you could dive with (LOTS of club info), what it costs etc. Excellent for the UK diver. The Diver magazine also has a website like this one where you can post message like "Who wants to go to Stoney Cove on next Saturday?".

Also really good mags in general -I subscribe to both and I've still never even been through a UK airport.

Diving locally in cold water may not appeal to your wife, However finding a local heated pool ( over 12 ft. deep)
can work to keep your wifes skills and confidence up. Doing all the basics should be a fun experience.
If I have not dived for some time, I like to dive in my own pool or go to the local college. Also doing major
lap swimming builds comfort and confidence in the water.

Something I tell all people who start diving... it's not rocket science, it's not very hard to do... but you do need practice. So the first 20 or so dives should be in reasonably rapid succession so you can build on what you learned in previous dives.

No problem whatsoever with only diving during holidays, but if you start out diving and do 5-7 dives and then don't dive for a full year you start back from scratch. You'll have to relearn everything you were thought in the first place. I'm not talking about the theory but really the practicality of being underwater. So you reset the counter every year and after 10 years of diving (say 100 dives) you'll still be someone not fully at ease underwater.

So I really agree with what previous posters have said. As a minimum try to get some pool sessions to get back into the groove of things. Best would be to just start diving locally... agreed a tropical paradise is a very easy entry in the sport but you'll learn with a bit of effort that local diving can be incredible.

To your wife... anxiety is a reaction to perceived or real circumstances, threat. Problems clearing a mask can be a real threat (to a person not used to clearing it), sharks are mostly a perceived treat. Anyway in a couple of pool sessions you'll find out if she is comfortable again, if not you need to let it go.

Congrats! My wife and I just wrapped up our certs this past weekend. SSI OW done! we do our drysuit dives next weekend for the official cert for that. It is cold here, water was 46 when we did our dives. It was something I always wanted to do. My wife had done her PADI Cert in Honduras 6 years ago and wanted to do it again with me. She enjoys it but also doesn't like being cold. So I am thinking in the end I will be the Northwest diver on regular basis and she will be a every so often here to keep her skills and the vacation diver when it is warm. We are doing Thailand in just over a month! That will be warm :)

Again congrats!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom