Muck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian:
Allison!

You have the best photos I've ever seen! They reveal such personality in their subject matter, like the cuddling nudis and the octopus pretending to be a clam!!! I was in Lembeh and didn't see stuff as cool as this! Did your DM point many things out to you, or did you spot em on your own?

Anyway, to address the subject of the thread, I think this sort of muck diving should be renamed, as there's really nothing mucky about it at all! Any ideas?

Thank you for your kind words.
Most of the cool stuff I shot was found by a very hard working DM from Kasawari lodge. Hie name is Ali and, except for his not knowing a frog kick and stirring the bottom constantly, he was able to spot wonderful critters.

How about "low profile" (topography) diving?

Last months issue of Dive Training had a really good aticle on Muck Diving. It is what I primarily do when I am diving either off the beach in California or around Big Fisherman's cove at Catalina Island. The visability at both places suck so I spend my time looking for very little critters and take macro photos.

A few years ago I read an article in either Asian Diver or Fins magazine describing "muck" dives as dives where you focus on the environment using your "macro" lense. Muck=macro? Maybe.

It went on to describe a typical silty/sandy bottom. I did some dives in Mabul that I was told were muck dives that were near a coral reef in decent viz (15m. or so), but we found loads of odd stuff in the sand and near the edge of the reef. Don't know if that helps, but it's safe to assume that muck diving can be really fascinating- esp. for photo/videographers.

I still prefer big reef walls and clear viz where I can see big stuff, though!!

Back
Top Bottom