Multi Gas Computers...worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you can argue both points..... waiting and buying now. Waiting until you've master the tables, better computer available down the road, etc. Buying now so you can get use to the computer, lengthen the dive times, etc.

I went thru 3 dive computers/watches until I ended up with my tech computer. If I had to do it again, I'd buy it sooner rather than later. I would have saved money, I ended up doing deep CCR dives sooner than I thought, the same computer I bought then is the same one I'd buy 4 years later and from my last rebreather dive trip, everyone is diving a computer or 2.

Either way, it is an investment and I suggest you know what you will do and might do down the road before chosing one. Good luck.

I'm going the tech route in the near future. Right now I have a veo 200 and rarely use it in computer mode. In prep for tech I've gone back to tables and v-planner. Overkill for recreational diving maybe. but it's getting me reaquainted with the tables and familiarizing me with deco software. Also most of the tech courses I've looked at require table use first so a computer with different mix capability right now might just confuse things. I feel if you can look at a computer and it says your ok but you don't know why it says you are you're cheating yourself and possibly endangering yourself if the computer is for some reason not acting right. They have been known to do that.

In the Caymans when they were teaching the trimix CCR class and allowed computers. But they required a backup so 2 computers or a computer and tables with backup depth and bottom timer. Also, if you dove computer, you dove it. That means if you did an OC bailout, you had to switch the computer too. And if you took a tank from someone else for offboard dil, you had to program that mix in the computer underwater - in case you forgot to do it on shore.

So learning with a computer might be harder but if that's what you're going to dive, why would you not train with it?

Jimmer:
It's not the expense itself that I am concerned with, every sport I've been involved with is pricey, Bicycle racing, auto racing, and I dont skimp on equipment, but I've learned enough from those sports as well to know that I dont want to spend money unnecesarrily in one area when the investment would be better spent in another. Maybe I need to clarify my question a little more, I've read posts for a while now where tech divers talk about running their computers in guage mode and run off of tables exclusively when deco diving. If this is the norm, then why is a multi gas computer needed? Secondly if I did keep my investment low at this point in time getting something like a VEO 180, could I not use that as a backup bottom timer which I understand is another required piece of kit for deco diving, and save the investment of the high end helium capable computer for later. As I said its not the price itself that is the concern, its whether I NEED to spend that money now, rather than spending it later and flipping a lower priced unit that will handle my current needs onto backup bottom timer use?

The truth of the matter is that a dive computer is not needed at any level of diving...
The computer is a prime example of a piece of gear that you can waste way too much money on. Anything that can be done with a multi gas computer can be done with a $200 bottom timer and tables...

I considered Tech Diving for like 5 years....in that 5 years I went through about 5 computers for various reasons....too conservative...too aggressive....too annoying....broken and unservicable, how about a trade up(Oceanic loves that line)

Most Tech divers follow tables or V-planner anyways using their mega expensive computers as bottom timers. Oceaninc makes a cheap 3 gas computer and Diverite makes a cheap 2 gas computer...that will get you by for a few years anyways.

You have alot more to worry about than a computer when it comes to buying tech gear.....that stuff adds up in a hurry

It is a fact that within the world of technical diving were trimix is the bottom gas norm,,most divers cut custom tables (2 copies) and use 2 bottom timers (could be a specf. made bottom timer, or a dive computer in GAGE mode),,,some will back-up the tables with He computers. Now one agency goes pretty much to the other side just short of saying you use 2 He computers as primary and tables for back-up,,,,always a topic of some debate. I persl. use cut tables and and 2 Dive Rite Duos in GAGE mode for my trimix dives. Computers are basically reactionary only.....as a tech diver or aggressive sport diver you need to always be proactive,,,,the other major short fall of He computers is there inability to account for proper gas planning and management,,,,the human brain is still the best onboard computer the tech or rec diver has. Plan your dive AND dive your plan, there just is no other way when you get to the level of trimix diving.

Oceanic makes several wonderful air/nitrox sport computers.

Consider this... with the advent of Ebay you can sell your old equipment for 75% of the original cost. I just got the vt3 pro so i'll write a review later. I support Oceanic because of the service i recieved. Get a good amount of regular dives in before doing the tech thing... get a level head and add as you get more experience. As for the gear... buy good stuff and later if your horizon gets higher buy more suited gear.

Leftwinger16:
The truth of the matter is that a dive computer is not needed at any level of diving...
The computer is a prime example of a piece of gear that you can waste way too much money on. Anything that can be done with a multi gas computer can be done with a $200 bottom timer and tables...

That's absolutely true and true for many other things in scuba/life. That's why I have a gps in my car instead of a bunch of maps. Call me a fool with money but I don't get lost anymore.

And of course there are the voodoo guys that don't use computers at all. Or just use basic computers in guage mode so they can download the profiles later. I fall into that camp.

V-Planner is about $80. A downloadble computer is maybe $150-$200. That will take you from recreational nitrox, through full trimix. I chose the Suunto Vyper because it has a nice display, decent download capability, is simple, and has a fully featured guage mode. If the Uwatec Bottom Timer had download capability, I would have gotten it instead.

The ONLY exception I would make to using a computer to do dives would be the VR3 if I was diving a CCR. But other than that, it's custom cut tables.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys, I think I've definetly put the gas switching computers off of the list for my current needs. I always plan my current no deco dives on the tables and like the idea of having the computer as a backup reference to my dives. I dont have any intention of rushing into tech diving, but do plan on getting there eventually, hence why I was considering the gas switching computers at this point in time. Since it seems rather obvious after hearing your opinions that the gas switching computers aren't needed for my diving now, and since any computer capable of guage mode can be used as a backup timer sometime down the road when I do find myself needing it. I'm going to go ahead and get a basic single mix nitrox computer, likely an oceanic VEO 180.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom