Muscle mass and air consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surface air consuption rate
This is a very loose indicater of air consuption and and average taken over 10 dives of varied depth will then give you a more accurate ASAC average surface air consuption rate.
NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH calculatingyour air consuption for a dive then your depth of the dive size of cylinder and your asac rate are used.
Howard

How do you know what your avarage depth was if you were on a multilevel dive? A small difference in that estimation could make a big difference in the calculations.

I was looking at the data from my Oceanic DataPro 2 plus and if you upload the data and then import it into Access, there are columns of data that don't print out in the regular print out. One of the columns has the heading "AIRCONSUMP" which I assume is air consumption, but it has numbers anywhere from 11 to 66. What units is that in? Each number is for one dive. It's hard to imagine that my SAC ranged all the way from 11 to 66 for dives with similar porfiles. How do I interpret that?

Also -- no comments about the picture I attached to a post above of Ralf and Lorenzo Lamas and us??

ET

for the average diver what is the normal sac rate, because based off my calulations i average between .45 - .55 ft3 a min ,

but on a trip to cozy this year on a saftey stop i had it down to .25 ft3 and maintained that for over 5 minutes and this was just breathing normally man it was so good and the more the better my air consumption gets

Buy an AIR intergrated computer to calculate
actaul usage affected by depth ,workload etc.
TO calculate actaul air consumption on a dive is ni impossible
Thats why i stess its an average
ALL you really can tell from this is using your sac rate at your
maximum planed deapth what size cylinder to use.
Still have to monitor that SPG.
HOWARD

I have an air integrated computer. The data readout has a column called air-consump, but it has numbers ranging from 11 to 66 -- what units is that in and how do I convert it to the numbers we're talking about?

Also --
DID ANYONE SEE THE PICTURES I UPLOADED OF RALF AND US several posts up?? No one commented. I'm disappointed. C'mon, humor me.
:(

Dear Diving Doc:

Air Consumption

As I have understood it, our exhaled air contains most of the oxygen we inhaled. When compressed, the oxygen partial pressure is higher. We remove very little oxygen in actual practice from our inspired breathing air (percentage wise) no matter what our muscle mass.

One can hold their breath for a while, practice controlled breathing, and obtain more than enough oxygen whle submerged. It is a matter of relaxation and concentration since you will definitely not suffocate.

All of the enclosed pictures certainly were nice. I would never have guessed that Ralf was seven feet tall when he was among other very tall companions in the film. He appears tall in your family photos. Possibly being in films trains Ralf to try and relax and this helps his air consumption while diving.

Being a fan of history, I saw Gladiator several times. My all-time favorite history picture is still The Egyptian, based on the book by Mika Waltari (which I read several times).:mean:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr. Deco once bubbled:
As I have understood it, our exhaled air contains most of the oxygen we inhaled. When compressed, the oxygen partial pressure is higher. We remove very little oxygen in actual practice from our inspired breathing air (percentage wise) no matter what our muscle mass.

All of the enclosed pictures certainly were nice. I would never have guessed that Ralf was seven feet tall when he was among other very tall companions in the film. He appears tall in your family photos. Possibly being in films trains Ralf to try and relax and this helps his air consumption while diving.[QUOTE\]

Then what is your explanation as to why most men consume air faster than most women?

Yea, Ralf was 7'3" in fact. You can really see how big he is when you put him next to me.

Dr. Deco -- do you know what units the "airconsump" data is on my Oceanic when uploaded -- numbers range from 11-66. How do I compare that to what the people in this thread are talking about with numbers in the .5 range?

Elaine

Elaine

I beleive there must be some genetics factors, if you put many divers of similar physical and mental shape in a pool and in rest you´ll probably still find differences

Back
Top Bottom