Muscle memory does everyone automatically have it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking of that Julie Andrews quote I believe professionals make mistakes just like everyone else. It's just that they can recover without a lot of outward appearance of error.

True in a lot of endeavors. Prof. musicians in top (and mid range) symphonies generally don't make mistakes. If they "do", it may be one of interpretation, not wrong notes or counting, etc. But they have practised their instrument more hours than one can imagine. There are probably other activities/jobs that are similar--maybe someone can think of one. Nobody does this with scuba (at least I would think not).

True in a lot of endeavors. Prof. musicians in top (and mid range) symphonies generally don't make mistakes. If they "do", it may be one of interpretation, not wrong notes or counting, etc. But they have practised their instrument more hours than one can imagine. There are probably other activities/jobs that are similar--maybe someone can think of one. Nobody does this with scuba (at least I would think not).
People do. But at that level they are professionals. Navy divers, SEALs, etc.

I also wonder about this perceived need to address situations within milliseconds in order to avoid catastrophe. I don't dive that way. There are few situations where my "reflexive" reaction is what makes the difference, unlike driving where cars are hurling towards each other separated by a painted line on the road and guided by symbol signage. Yet, thousands of drivers use unfamiliar rental cars each day in places that are new to them. Why don't we see more articles about the importance of muscle memory in driving. Or rather, why do we fixate on this in regard to diving.

I also wonder about this perceived need to address situations within milliseconds in order to avoid catastrophe. I don't dive that way. There are few situations where my "reflexive" reaction is what makes the difference, unlike driving where cars are hurling towards each other separated by a painted line on the road and guided by symbol signage. Yet, thousands of drivers use unfamiliar rental cars each day in places that are new to them. Why don't we see more articles about the importance of muscle memory in driving. Or rather, why do we fixate on this in regard to diving.

Would you consider a reflexive reaction like disconnecting your LP 1 hose connector and simultaneously dumping the air in the bladder, if a their is a BC inflator malfunction? Once you recognize a situation like this, a very quick response can make the difference.
Stop, think and react would not seem like a good option in that case.

Certain situations can require very quick action, in order to avoid injury or death. IMO

Frank G
Z GEAR - Z Gear

Largely, because "different" cars, roads, and driving habits are far more ALIKE than they are different. A turn signal means the same n Rome New York as it does Rome Italy. A brake pedal in Athens Georgia works the same as Athens Greece.

I agree. There aren't a whole LOT of situations in diving where fractions of a second will make a difference. Donating gas is one of them, and controlling runaway inflation is another; coping with a freeflow needs to be done quickly but not instantly. Gas donation is definitely something where standardization and practice will make a difference. If you put me in rental gear with an octo clipped off somewhere on my torso, I can guarantee you I will not be able to donate as fast as I can when "punching" a long hose forward. Disconnecting an LP inflator hose or dry suit hose is pretty invariable, and the management of a freeflow is going to be more dependent on the behavior of my buddy than on my OWN "muscle memory".

I don't think of it as much in terms of emergency procedures, although I think there is something for thought there. I think of it more in terms of automating all the routine stuff, so more processing is available to deal with the unexpected. If I don't have to spend conscious thought on unclipping my pressure gauge to check it, I'm more likely to check it frequently. If putting my light in a temporary stow is something I do without thinking, I can put all my attention on the situation that required me to stow it. If all the skills necessary to do uncomplicated diving are second nature, my awareness is open to pick up the smallest light signal from my buddy (for which I got complimented yesterday :) ).

I talked a lot, when I was a new diver, about bandwidth. I simply didn't have enough of it to cope with all the things I was asked to manage. Not until I could relegate a lot of routine stuff to the subconscious did I begin to be an aware diver and a good diving partner for someone else.

Reactions: RJP
Would you consider a reflexive reaction like disconnecting your LP 1 hose connector and simultaneously dumping the air in the bladder, if a their is a BC inflator malfunction?...

No I would not. How does anyone develop a "reflexive" reaction like that. What really helps a person is understanding the underlying system of buoyancy at play and how best to manage it. I have had a stuck inflator and it wasn't that hard to correct. Dump gas.. what's wrong.. disconnect inflator. The problem with relying on reflexive action is when the reflex is the wrong action.

But RJP makes a good point, which I agree with. Most things about driving are sufficiently similar so that one can adjust to the dissimilar. Same with diving. Gear may vary in appearance and placement but it all works, for the most part, the same way.

It may sound like I am against some form of practice or developing a feel for placement etc... I am not. There certainly is place for that in diving. But rather than worry about internalizing specific movements for specific placements of equipment I tend to think about reenforcing general technique. For example, I have learned that when clipping off something to a D ring, where ever it is, I give the item a tug afterward. This prevents false clips. Some rigs I use have D rings on the hip, some on the chest and some no D rings at all. Yesterday I dove with a 10' coil of cable, crescent wrench and 200lb liftbag. I have no muscle memory of how to manage those items or where to clip them off, I just have a general skill set of managing items while I'm diving.

It's funny, I still use a mental list of stuff I need to do and a particular order when doing it so I don't forget something. Just last summer, we waded into the water and I "felt" like I was missing something. Hmm.. nothing.. Only after we got past the sandbar did we realize we forgot the flag.. :shakehead: "only" been beach diving 20 years..

^^ thought of that when somebody earlier mentioned the oops moment of pilots that lead to fatal errors.. Where was the muscle memory other than it felt like I should of had something else to carry, but it was out of sight, so out of mind..

Quite a few years ago I was at a familiar shore site in CT and left the car, crossed the street, crossed the beach area and entered the water without fins in hand. They were back in the campground. Fortunately, lifeguards lent me a pair. Things happen. I had placed the fins in a different than usual spot in the trailer to dry better--broke the routine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom