Must do dives in St. Thomas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in St. Thomas in 2 weeks and will be doing 2 days of diving with my girlfriend. Are there any "must do" dives in St. Thomas?

KidK9:
I'll be in St. Thomas in 2 weeks and will be doing 2 days of diving with my girlfriend. Are there any "must do" dives in St. Thomas?

The diving in St. Thomas is pretty average for the Caribbean. The only "must do" dive that I am aware of is the wreck of the Rhone which is past St. John and is an all day trip from Charlotte Amalie. I dove with Chris Sawyer Dive whose shop is near Red Hook and can highly recommend them. They do the wreck once per week but I am not sure which day. I believe you will need your passport to do it as it sits in the Brittish Virgin Islands.

Yep. You are required to clear customs coming and going to dive the Rhone from the USVI and it's an alld ay trip.

I've dove some off Red Hook and liked it. One of the "named sites" that people like is the "Cow and Calf". I liked it because of the deep coral caverns it had.

I've heard good things about Chris Sawyer also. We used "Dive Inn" located at the Saphire beach resort, which we were happy with also.

One dive that we did that wasn't a "must do" is Coki Beach. While it wasn't bad, it just definately wasn't worth diving a 2nd time or going to any effort to dive when there are better places. This place was packed with cruise boat tourists brought in for their "Beach BreaK" excusrion. We did this as a shore dive and it just wasn't all that exciting.

hope that helps.

mike

Yep Chris Sawyer is a class act....and....ask to go to the dive where all the deep gulley and cavern swim throughs are located.

I was in St. Thomas last September. If you are really into wreck diving, the Rhone may be a disappointment. I love the Miss Opportunity, Kennedy, and the WIT Shoal. I chose to dive with Blue Island Divers. I've heard good things about Chris Sawyers, but when I got onto the island. I heard they were mostly doing hand holding dives. The first day of diving with Blue Island Divers, I was the only paying customer on the boat and they tooke me where they like to go. Not where all the tourists go. I always say, the locals know where the best spots are.

The reefs in St. Thomas aren't the greatest in the world, but the are decent. I love wreck diving, that's why I chose Blue Island Divers. They have found most of the new wrecks around St. Thomas.

KidK9

I second Blue Island Divers if you are looking to do something different. Their dive groups are always small (usually no more than 10 divers) and they always go to very interesting dive sites that other shops never visit. Chris' is a good op but can turn into a cattle boat at times (when cruise ships are in). My son used to DI for Chris Sawyers and BID. Contact Aitch at BID and let him give you the heads up (say hi from Dante).

www.blueislanddivers.com

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

MaresMan1:
KidK9

I second Blue Island Divers if you are looking to do something different. Their dive groups are always small (usually no more than 10 divers) and they always go to very interesting dive sites that other shops never visit. Chris' is a good op but can turn into a cattle boat at times (when cruise ships are in). My son used to DI for Chris Sawyers and BID. Contact Aitch at BID and let him give you the heads up (say hi from Dante).

www.blueislanddivers.com

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm scheduled to dive with Blue Island Divers the first week in April.

Actually I have 2 days of diving booked with Blue Island Divers. March 21 and 23. I was just wondering if I should request any certain sites. So.....I'll let YOU know Caymaniac!

Also, out of curiosity - does anyone know how much it would be (ballpark) to privately book out the boat for a night dive with my girlfriend. It should be a special night.

I work for Chris Sawyer Diving and would love to have you check us out. After reading some of the comments, (which were mostly accurate) I would offer some suggestions. If you would like to do a private night dive we can do it and you should contact Ann at sawyerdive@islands.vi.
We dive in small groups and do not cater to the large cruise ship groups. We do have divers from the ships that want to dive in a non cattle car environment. We have two boats one takes twelve max and the other 18 max. Blue Island divers is also a good operation and since they are on the opposite side of the island, they generally dive sites we do not and visa versa. Most of our dives are reef dives and we do the Rhone every Friday. BVI trip you need passport or BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom