Must do dives in St. Thomas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from BVI/St Thomas/St John

The Rhone is neat, but overhyped and can be busy as Disney. The Indians in the BVI are beautiful but also may have many boats at the moorings. I actually missed both of these on the last trip, so I'm going on memory and local reports on those. The waters of the BVI were churning a bit and we headed to the more sheltered American sites.

Sprat off South Side of St Thomas was really nice, although it was a cloudy day and the vis was reduced. Really cool coral ridges.

Highly reccomend Flat Caye. Sorta wall dive with really nice life. Swam with a nice spotted eagle there.

Also, if you're on a boat overnight, the south side of Saba Rock was a beautiful place to moor overnight. Really quiet, and no one there. Tiny little island that's protected from going asshore. About 1/2-1 hr boat ride from the southern parts of St. THomas.

Definitely can recommend Chris Sawyer Divers. Quality, safe operation. Get on the first trip of the day and you'll miss the cruise ship divers for the most part.

However, my favorite St. Thomas dive site is on the other side of the island. It's called Armando's Paradise, and if you're into lots of variety in critters, this is the place. I could spend an entire week on just that one site and never get bored. Photographer's dream. I've gone out with St. Thomas Diving Club there, but see if Blue Island will go there as well. I've seen their boats in the region.

caymaniac:
I'll let you know how it goes, I'm scheduled to dive with Blue Island Divers the first week in April.

Cayman,

I did schedule the Blue Island Divers for the 5th. You are probably going in the morning, There wasn't enough seats left for us (5) so we are doing the afternoon dive. Just 6 nights and a wake up and we set sail!!!!

The gal that I talked to stated that the real difference between BIW and New Way Scuba, is that they only take out 12 max and New Way (Princess) takes out up to 45!!!!

Can you say MOOOOO!!!!

I just dove with Blue Island Divers. They are a nice company, but dont be fooled as "only taking out 12 divers". 12 divers on their boat means you will be sitting shoulder to shoulder, bumping into the next guy every 15 seconds and not being able to move so well. I went out one day with "only 12 divers", along with a captain, a DM, and a DM in training. VERY crowded boat. I also went out one day with 6 divers, and this was comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom