My buying used steel tank experience.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kinda chuckled when he told me. He said it was a "miracle" it passed and he didn't sound all to happy about it. I'll be doing most of the filling this summer anyway, I'm working at a facility on my off time.

....mis-post.

Picked up the tank today. He even put a used boot on it. The LDS said that he was told by the hydro guy that it would fail on the next test so I will get 5 yrs from this tank. Cost me over $60 for the work. Sort of bummed that I had to pay that much for a $50 tank. I'll get some use from it this w/e. I hope.

Tanks with liners are a no-go.

There are no steel tanks with flat bottoms.

There are old steel fire extinguishers (little legs on the bottom) that are still good and were used for scuba.

Aluminum tanks with a round bottom are a no-go (old EOD tanks)

Picked up the tank today. He even put a used boot on it.
If he charged you for the boot, tell him, 'Thanks, but you can keep it, and refund my money.'
The LDS said that he was told by the hydro guy that it would fail on the next test so I will get 5 yrs from this tank.
I doubt very seriously that the 'hydro guy' told him any such thing. OK, you indicate you are working at the LDS this coming summer. OK, you say the LDS guy has been a stand-up guy and you trust him. OK, I think he is completely FOS, and I would stay as far away from him as possible. If he told me the sky is blue and grass is green, I would still check that myself before taking his word.
Cost me over $60 for the work. Sort of bummed that I had to pay that much for a $50 tank. I'll get some use from it this w/e. I hope.
You paid $50 for a used 72, out of hydro? Hmm. But, look at it rationally. On one hand, you now have a tank that will last (probably a lot longer than) 5 years. You apparently paid $60 for a hydro and VIP - at the higher end, maybe, but not totally outrageous (but, see if you were charged for the boot, and return it if you were). So, for $110 you have a great tank, in current hydro. I wouldn't be complaining at all. On the other hand, to pay $50 for an out of hydro tank probably left the seller with a big grin on his/her face (not surprised they didn't return your messages). As PT Barnum said, 'There's . . . .'

Can you please tell me where you got the tanks sandblasted in Houston?
What did they charge you per tank?
I have 3 tanks that have a liner.

...... I used a hydro facility in Houston that had no issues sandblasting out the inside of the cylinder. ......

Lined tanks always have a funny smell to them, like fresh linoleum.

My observance over many VTIs.

Can you please tell me where you got the tanks sandblasted in Houston?
What did they charge you per tank?
I have 3 tanks that have a liner.

These folks are actually in Deer Park Western Sales & Testing of Deer Park, Inc I've had very good service from them.

Yup, Western. I have no idea what it cost, that was a long time ago. I was shocked that they sandblasted them, they were very nonchalant about it.

Back
Top Bottom