My Current Gear Opinions, what Dry Suit when its time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am freshly OW certified. Looking to get my AOW certification along with my drysuit certification this spring (if not winter, assuming the dive shop I get certified at goes on a trip somewhere)

I plan on traveling to where I dive, as well as diving the great lakes locally.

I am looking to get a drysuit for our rather cold waters, as I would really like to explore the many wrecks in the Great Lakes.

What Dry Suit is recommended? I do not want to spend an outrageous amount, but I don't mind spending money on things worthwhile.

My Size is 6'3", 220lbs, about average belly, wider then normal shoulders. I fit into a XL Henderson 3ML Thermoprene suit fine.

Also, opinions on my current equipment?

Mares Abyss MR-22 Primary Regulator
Mares MC-12 Computer/Guage
Dacor Viper Secondary Regulator
Oceanic Excursion BCD
Henderson 3mm WetSuit
Aluminum 80 Tank
Mares Volo Power Fins
LiquidSkin Mask
5mm Boots/Gloves
Spare Air 3.0 Nitrox Ready.

The only advise I have is...do your research on the types...try alot of them on...touch yours toes and see how flexible they are...then you will be able to make the decision. Dry suit are like fins, everyone has a preference.
I will say I dive cold water and I wouldn't go with anything but a neoprene neck seal, latex wrist seals with a dry glove system.
Good luck,
And have a happy fat man in a red suit day:D

I use a Bare NexGen divesuit in Alaska and in Lake Superior. It worked well and is an inexpensive, entry level suit, one of several.

Asking for a recommendation on drysuits (or any gear) is like asking someone "what religion is best." Come to think of it, that is not correct. Most folks aren't that fanatical about religion. lol

My husband has a Bare 2 mm compressed neoprene suit, and he loves it. It seems to be well made. He fit in a stock size, which made it quite inexpensive for a compressed neo suit.

I would highly recommend compressed neo for water temperatures below 50 degrees, and I have come to LOVE a neoprene neck seal as well. Less fragile than the latex ones, they also provide a degree of insulation over the large vessels in the neck, and I think that makes a difference in how quickly I chill. Latex wrist seals and dry gloves are my recommendation, too.

I am freshly OW certified. Looking to get my AOW certification along with my drysuit certification this spring (if not winter, assuming the dive shop I get certified at goes on a trip somewhere)

I plan on traveling to where I dive, as well as diving the great lakes locally.

I am looking to get a drysuit for our rather cold waters, as I would really like to explore the many wrecks in the Great Lakes.

What Dry Suit is recommended? I do not want to spend an outrageous amount, but I don't mind spending money on things worthwhile.

My Size is 6'3", 220lbs, about average belly, wider then normal shoulders. I fit into a XL Henderson 3ML Thermoprene suit fine.

Also, opinions on my current equipment?

Mares Abyss MR-22 Primary Regulator
Mares MC-12 Computer/Guage
Dacor Viper Secondary Regulator
Oceanic Excursion BCD
Henderson 3mm WetSuit
Aluminum 80 Tank
Mares Volo Power Fins
LiquidSkin Mask
5mm Boots/Gloves
Spare Air 3.0 Nitrox Ready.

In regards to your equipment......if you can get to it easily, use it readily, and it is reliable, then that's some really great equipment!!
I have an alum 80 and a steel tank as well when I dont feel like wearing soo much weight. I don't usually go too deep so I use it to compensate.

As far as a dry suit, after your research see if the manufacture has a "Demo Day" it might help with your decision.

Hope that helps a little.

I think it is worthwhile to get pockets installed on the drysuit. I currently own a Bare Trilam HD (Size L, I'm 6'0" 210 pounds). This suit is very heavy duty, you might like it for the wreck diving.

The new Pinnacle evolution 2 drysuit has pockets and felt darn near knife proof to me. Its around 1400 dollars U.S. I'm no expert on drysuits however.

You may want to edit your post to remove that last piece of equipment from your list. Otherwise you might get flamed.

You may want to edit your post to remove that last piece of equipment from your list. Otherwise you might get flamed.

I actually use the last piece of equipment for one reason, and one reason only. When I go snorkeling without scuba gear, I like to go to waters that are 8-12' Deep, and when I see something interesting, I dive for it with the spare air as my regulator.

I dont use it when diving..

When I go snorkeling without scuba gear, I like to go to waters that are 8-12' Deep, and when I see something interesting, I dive for it with the spare air as my regulator.

I dont use it when diving..

You do know that the very instance you're breathing under water, you are scuba diving not snorkeling or free diving any more?

Be careful.

As far as the DS goes, if you can fit the stock size and it fits your budget, I can also recommend Pinnacle Evolution 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom